large capicitor vs. small second battery

Participant count
  • Participant list

Reidk
10+ year member

Mic boy
iowa
I think that I will probably need a second battery or a large capicitor for my system. I'm using a 1500 watt phoenix gold amp for my sub and an 800 watt visonik 4 channel amp for my speakers. My vehicle is a ford ranger and it has a stock 97 amp alternator. I don't know if I should use a second battery or a large capicitor. I really don't want to burn my my alternator up. I'm not sure if i'll need either one. but when i had this system in my honda i had to have a second battery or my system would cut out and the lows didn't hit right. but i also had a 70 amp alternator.

this is the battery i'm intrested in:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=170271127825

no the 70 amp alternator was in the honda. the ranger has a 97 amp alternator. when i had my system in the honda i had to have 2 batteries

Just get a bigger alternator. If you dont have enough alternator to charge the one battery you have now you dont have enough alternator to charge a second battery. Even if you could get a 120 amp alternator and a cap you would be better off.

Im not sure about the rangers, but see if maybe a F150 alt might fit, but idk for sure. I would assume the F150 alt would be about 120-130 amp.

Have you done the Big 3 yet? and do you have a good primary battery?

havn't done the big 3 and didn't do it in my honda either. this system rocked in my honda. but i do have a bigger alternator now and didn't know if i still needed to use 2 batteries. i thought about getting an even bigger alternator for my ranger but they are pretty expensive. so if i can get away with a second battery for cheaper i will. my primary battery is a 875 cca AC delco battery... so yes it's a good primary battery.

well another question is...do i even need the battery or the capicitor?
Go outside while it's dark, turn your stuff up on full blast or as high as you will ever play it. If you are getting bad dimming, you got work to do. I would get the battery over the cap, but something bigger than you showed in that link.

Go outside while it's dark, turn your stuff up on full blast or as high as you will ever play it. If you are getting bad dimming, you got work to do. I would get the battery over the cap, but something bigger than you showed in that link.
well my old battery was a deep cycle marine battery that worked out really well but it was HUGE which was fine for a trunk. but it is not something i want to put in my truck cab. i figured something small like that kinetic and my big battery under the hood would be enough.

Not really familiar with Stinger batteries, but it looks the size of a Kinetik hc-600.

Try the dimming test suggestion first. I you are dimming, I would put a deep cycle (Red or Yellow top) up front, and do the big 3. What gauge wire is your setup done in?

Not really familiar with Stinger batteries, but it looks the size of a Kinetik hc-600.
Try the dimming test suggestion first. I you are dimming, I would put a deep cycle (Red or Yellow top) up front, and do the big 3. What gauge wire is your setup done in?
can't spend that much money on a battery. i'm using 4 guage wire. for the pg 1500 watt amp and 8 guage wire for my visonik amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.