LF channel cutting out..

Participant count
  • Participant list

BeAlLsTaR13
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
New York
well this morning my system sounded fine when i was on my way to school, never went past like 25 on the volume.. too early to "bump" IMO when tis 7am.. but anyways after school when i got out at 1 i was driving and had it around 30 and noticed a "crackling" noise, so i couldnt figure out what it was.. at first i only noticed it when my subs were hitting so i thought it was just something vibrating in my dash or in the door.. then i realized it sounded completly terrible and found out that it was my left front speaker... it does 3 different things, crackles, cuts/fades out, or just in general stops playing for a few seconds then comes back on.. i noticed it only does it on high volumes, 28+ (HU goes to 35) and it doesnt do it when i fade all the way to the left.. i had it all the way up to 35 with the fader all the way to the left channel and it wasnt doing it, but if i faded it equal to balance it out it would do it again... i also noticed, well it seemed to me like it would only do it on heavy bass songs, but then this theory failed when i was listening to a song with not much bass to it cutting out... i got to work a little early and was looking around at it, i happened to have my DMM so i took the inputs from the crossovers out, checked the ohms to the mids and tweets, both read perfect so their not blown.. would could be causing this? crossover going bad or something...? its the only thing i can think of, but dont know why it works perfectly fine when its faded all the way to the right channel

well this morning my system sounded fine when i was on my way to school, never went past like 25 on the volume.. too early to "bump" IMO when tis 7am.. but anyways after school when i got out at 1 i was driving and had it around 30 and noticed a "crackling" noise, so i couldnt figure out what it was.. at first i only noticed it when my subs were hitting so i thought it was just something vibrating in my dash or in the door.. then i realized it sounded completly terrible and found out that it was my left front speaker... it does 3 different things, crackles, cuts/fades out, or just in general stops playing for a few seconds then comes back on.. i noticed it only does it on high volumes, 28+ (HU goes to 35) and it doesnt do it when i fade all the way to the left.. i had it all the way up to 35 with the fader all the way to the left channel and it wasnt doing it, but if i faded it equal to balance it out it would do it again... i also noticed, well it seemed to me like it would only do it on heavy bass songs, but then this theory failed when i was listening to a song with not much bass to it cutting out... i got to work a little early and was looking around at it, i happened to have my DMM so i took the inputs from the crossovers out, checked the ohms to the mids and tweets, both read perfect so their not blown.. would could be causing this? crossover going bad or something...? its the only thing i can think of, but dont know why it works perfectly fine when its faded all the way to the right channel
It sounds to me like you have a loose connection. I would check the wiring going to that speaker. This happens a lot when people "twist and tape" speaker wires.

It sounds to me like you have a loose connection. I would check the wiring going to that speaker. This happens a lot when people "twist and tape" speaker wires.
i use wire ties ;o, and dont have wires twiested but ill check it out.. what ive done so far was switched the crossovers, so now if it IS a crossover problem, the right front channel will have the problems.. when i find my DMM ill check the inputs on the crossovers coming from the amp, if the voltage stays constant even while the comps start cutting out/crackling then its a speaker problem but if the voltage on the input from the crossover is lower, its a connection problem somewhere between the amp and crossover right?

i use wire ties ;o, and dont have wires twiested but ill check it out.. what ive done so far was switched the crossovers, so now if it IS a crossover problem, the right front channel will have the problems.. when i find my DMM ill check the inputs on the crossovers coming from the amp, if the voltage stays constant even while the comps start cutting out/crackling then its a speaker problem but if the voltage on the input from the crossover is lower, its a connection problem somewhere between the amp and crossover right?
Ok... so my question is: Does your amp have a built in crossover? If so, why are you using the speaker crossovers? The midrange speakers really don't need to be used. If you have tweeters, you can just use the -3db setting on your crossover and not run the mid through it anymore.

its only a 2 channel amp.. i have my filter set on full... and why wouldnt i use the mid? without it it sounds like nothings there, just the tweets and i dont have a -3dB setting.

and i noticed that when my hu is playing a CD it didnt do the cutting out (so i thought) and i was driving flipping from cd to ipod (via front auxilery cable) and i noticed it really only cut out through the ipod, then i would switch to a cd and the problem would be gone.. but tonight i was seeing if it could be the ipod cord so i would twist it around when it was in the ipod and could hear it crackle/cut out so i figured a bad cable or something.. ok easy replacment.. then i went to CD for a bit.. noticed it sounded funny so im like WTF.. i turned my balance on left, all the way.. and noticed no mids, only the tweeter was playing on the left channel... so its too confusing -_-

its only a 2 channel amp.. i have my filter set on full... and why wouldnt i use the mid? without it it sounds like nothings there, just the tweets and i dont have a -3dB setting.
You ARE using the mid. You're just bypassing the in-line crossover when you hook it up. If you don't have a -3db setting on your in-line crossover, there is really no need to use it. Just set your crossover on your amp to high pass and hook both the mid and tweet up without the in-line crossover.

ok but that still didnt change anything, the problem still occurs, i already established that its not the crossover

now today when i was getting gas (problem was still occuring, right channel was working fine, the mid on the left wasnt but tweeter was) i was pumping gas and i opened my passenger door and when i did the mid on the right got fuzzy and i was like wtf so i closed the door and you could hear an occassional "pump" from that mid so i shut it off... turned it back on and now getting engine noise through that mid, terrible noise.. high screeching whine but it does play:

heres a vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJJ0Tu4bmuY

ok but that still didnt change anything, the problem still occurs, i already established that its not the crossover
now today when i was getting gas (problem was still occuring, right channel was working fine, the mid on the left wasnt but tweeter was) i was pumping gas and i opened my passenger door and when i did the mid on the right got fuzzy and i was like wtf so i closed the door and you could hear an occassional "pump" from that mid so i shut it off... turned it back on and now getting engine noise through that mid, terrible noise.. high screeching whine but it does play:

heres a vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJJ0Tu4bmuY
At this point I'm inclined to think that you've got either your rcas or speaker wire grounded. The best way to tell is to unplug the right channel rca. If the engine noise in that speaker goes away, check your rca to see where the problem is. If it doesn't, check your speaker wire.

At this point I'm inclined to think that you've got either your rcas or speaker wire grounded. The best way to tell is to unplug the right channel rca. If the engine noise in that speaker goes away, check your rca to see where the problem is. If it doesn't, check your speaker wire.
hmm i do have my RCA preouts grounded in the back of my HU..

ill go try that right now (pulling right chan rca out) and update

edit: ok i went out and pulled the right channel RCA out, the noise DID stop.. so that must mean my RCAs are grounding out you say then? it must be in the back of the HU then.

Well I just noticed this..when my hu is faded all the way left just the left tweeter and subs work (no left channel mid) but when it's faded all the way right my right chanell mids and tweets work but no subs..now when it's balanced equal my right tweeter begins to fade in and out (like my first problem with my left chan mid) and you cN tell the subs hit less when this happens

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.