Low budget system

focusfan

I will be getting a 2005 Ford Focus ZXW SE in about a month, and it badly needs some sound upgrades. However with a budget of about $400 for now, I could either get a decent head unit and new speakers, or an amp and 2x 12" 600W subs. Thoughts on what I should go with?

[Also first post //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif ]

neither, I have a setup that was going to go in either my focus or my brother f-250. kicker 6x8 comps and 6x8 coax with a Planet Audio 5 channel amp that I could sell you for $275 shipped. just get a decent headunit and you're almost ready to go, I'd get an Fi X 2ohm or IA D4 in a good ported box and done.

its plausable to get a full system for that price, I'm kind of doubting you're gonna do 600w dual 12s for that budget....considering I spent about 1400 on my setup. Gotta factor in power needs, wiring.

A good way to attack the budget situation is to get a 4channel and amp your front doors then bridge the back 2 channels for the sub.

You'll save some $ and gain some worthwhile skills to have around by building your own box.

its plausable to get a full system for that price, I'm kind of doubting you're gonna do 600w dual 12s for that budget....considering I spent about 1400 on my setup. Gotta factor in power needs, wiring.
wow i dont know what you bought, but 1400 for a 1200 watt system is kinda high.

my system cost me about 1200 bucks, even with 2 runs of 0 gauge and a highoutput alternator.

OP for the money you have i would invest in a nice stereo, and nice door speakers, i would hold off on the amp and subs for now.

Buy used is best. Check out ebay, craiglist and pawn shops. I'd worry about a HU, front components and a sub. Get a 4 channel that you can use to power the front speakers and sub. Should save some money.

Buy what you can now, then save for more later.

As for subs. You can get more options with a single sub than if you run two.

I would get decent 6" components for the front doors, a four channel amp, a cheap 12" sub, and a budget alpine HU. Build a simple box.

Could be done for $400. Should still have enough left for Knukonceptz wires and some deadening for the doors.

if you REALLY want subs. i would suggest starting with decent equipment. maybe a FI audio X 10" or 12". the 10" is 109.00 and you can always recone it if you blow it or decide to change voice coil configuration. for this sub, shoot for a 400w rms amplifier IGNORE max amperage ratings on all car audio equipment as its used as a marketing gimmick. go with an amp that cea-2006 compliant if possible, as their rms rating will almost always be true. as far as brands of amps, you dont have to be too picky about this part, go with a rockford fosgate, kicker, hifonics, kenwood, alpine. always try used classified(Craigslist, caraudioclassifieds.org, eBay etc) first. if you do buy off Craigslist ALWAYS test the equipment in person before buying. and online try to stay with a seller with high feedback and no negatives if possible. and build your own box, also amp kit wise go with a decent but cheap kit if your on a strict budget. and if yo cannot afford a radio, use a loc.

alot of people new to car audio have a habit of buying JUNK audio, and eventuallly build their way up to good equipment, i even did this as a teenegaer. i cannot begin to tell you how many systems i have had in the past 6 years. if i total all the equipment ive bought, i have wasted alot of money.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.