Midbass that can get low? PWX6.5's?

momofx
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
IL, USA
I am looking for some midbass drivers that can get low (down to about 60Hz) but at the same time have good midrange response for vocals etc.(*on a budget btw). Oh and my amp is a MB Quart Onyx4.80 - 80w rms x4 that I am using for midbass / mid.

I came across some Crescendo PWX6.5 and was wondering if you guys who have experience with these, think they will work out for me? (I really like the pricing on them).

Btw, I CAN go to 8" if needed although my doors are current cut out for 6.5's.

I came across these Boss Audio 8" midbass that go down to 35hz apparently - what about these :

http://www.bossaudio.com/auto/pp8-4/

Good midbass is more about the install than the driver. Just make sure your doors are properly deadened and sealed off and you shouldn't have a problem. Those Crescendos will perform well as long as you give them a proper home.

Oh yessss I forgot to mention the doors are have spray deadener inside them and sealed off with fatmat, etc...

I am kinda deciding between the pwx6.5 or the Boss Audio 8" midbass...

You'll get even better midbass response if the sound coming off the back of the cone is blocked from interacting with the sound off the front of the cone. Sealing and deadening are good steps to take but FatMat and other vibration dampers aren't good at blocking sound. This is why I use CCF and MLV behind the interior door skin. Also, there is little need to ask your little door speakers to play down to 60 Hz. I've done it and yes, I realize many many people like super low HPF settings on their midbasses. Try your subwoofer/midbass crossovers at 80 Hz on 24 dB slopes if possible.

I have the older style Crescendo mids and they get decently low, and take a good bit of power. I've heard the new PWX are only better. Also, just as BOSS makes up everything else about their speakers and subs and amps and decks, I wouldn't believe their playable frequency range either.

You'll get even better midbass response if the sound coming off the back of the cone is blocked from interacting with the sound off the front of the cone. Sealing and deadening are good steps to take but FatMat and other vibration dampers aren't good at blocking sound. This is why I use CCF and MLV behind the interior door skin. Also, there is little need to ask your little door speakers to play down to 60 Hz. I've done it and yes, I realize many many people like super low HPF settings on their midbasses. Try your subwoofer/midbass crossovers at 80 Hz on 24 dB slopes if possible.
Ahh yes I just got a 3 way crossover and it has a -6 and -18db slope for the highs, mids and sub channels. OH BTW, I forgot to mention I am running 3 way active with this setup //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif. Yeah I think I might be asking for too much from the doors lol - 80hz DOES sound about right for nice mid (tight) bass.

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH BOSS AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH.
No Boss. Bad. Crescendo Good.
LOL ok boss //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif . I dunno what I was thinking - maybe cos it was big and cheap haha.

I have the older style Crescendo mids and they get decently low, and take a good bit of power. I've heard the new PWX are only better. Also, just as BOSS makes up everything else about their speakers and subs and amps and decks, I wouldn't believe their playable frequency range either.
Yeah I have read nothing but good things about all the PWX sizes and no I am not gettin the Boss stuff lol. Think I'm gonna go with the PWX 6.5's ...

Just busting your balls, bud. But yeah, those Boss are worthless. Might as well keep factory if that's what you were going to do.

This. Do a proper install and you shouldn't have a problem getting where you want.

Hybrid Audio HAT Imagine 6.5 set, I have mine crossed off at 45hz-120hz, they dig deep and sound great doing off 200rms per 6.5.

Hybrid Audio HAT Imagine 6.5 set, I have mine crossed off at 45hz-120hz, they dig deep and sound great doing off 200rms per 6.5.
Only problem with that is I'm not sure he's looking for a 300 dollar set of comps. Those Imagines are sweet and can take some hefty power, but they're kinda 'spensive.

Only problem with that is I'm not sure he's looking for a 300 dollar set of comps. Those Imagines are sweet and can take some hefty power, but they're kinda 'spensive.

The 300.00 ones you see are Verson 2.0 with upgrades to the original platform. You can still find the version 1.0 like I have for around 200.00 or so new and cheaper used. The V2's are on par with the original clarius driver build I believe.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.