Might sound dumb, but...

canonman

...is it possible to connect the front and rear channels of the head unit to one pair of speakers? Drive an MR2 so no rear speakers and half the power of the head unit isn't being used. Thought this might save me having to install an amp.

Soz if that sounds really retarded, but electrical shizzle isn't one of my strong points and I thought I'd better check before something sets on fire.

Unless your HU specifically says that it can be bridged or you are running 8ohm speakers....
this...

H/U will usually state if channels can be bridged. I know for a while pioneer had decks in which you could bridge the rear channels to power a sub....but to be on the side of caution, unless your speakers are 8ohm, I wouldnt do it

Unless your HU specifically says that it can be bridged or you are running 8ohm speakers....
this...

H/U will usually state if channels can be bridged. I know for a while pioneer had decks in which you could bridge the rear channels to power a sub....but to be on the side of caution, unless your speakers are 8ohm, I wouldnt do it

I guess I should have asked the coil config. on your speakers. I just assumed they where stock speakers (8ohm) so...

However, when I was a newbee I remember running my Jensen deck ion my Fiero like this on a pair of Infinity coaxials for well over a year with no issues.

most modern head units have signal on both wires - basically balanced (bridged) speaker outputs already. you'll know it won't work when your HU goes into protect.

unless it's a cheap deck with unbalanced speaker outputs, it won't work.

here's a thread where i hooked a head unit up to a scope (and amps) for showing bridged (balanced) vs unbalanced.

http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1076928

i did it on my alpine years ago and never gave me a problem and they were 4 ohms, but it was an alpine so im sure that could make the deciding factor or not. im thinkin it will pop the fuse in your unit or go into protect before it causes any major problems, so guess its really up to you if u wanna try it or not but i probably wouldnt suggest it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.