mixing different agm brans

You should expect a lower life span for the batts. As they age, they will have a slightly different resting voltage which will cause a parasitic drain.

Electrons can't read what's written on the outside of the box. All batteries age slightly differently, even those made on the same assembly line with the same materials. In fact, many different brands are made on the same assembly line with the same materials, so there's no way to know or to tell how long it will take brand X battery to deteriorate relative to brand Y. Obvious known differences notwithstanding.

As long as you're not mixing SLAs or conventional wet cells with AGMs, there will be no surface charge issues. At least, none that you can do anything about.

I wondered this too. How about mixing an agm G34 with agm G31?
You will be fine, don't over think it. I've ran AGM and conventional wet cells mixed for a few years with no issues. Internet experts said it wouldn't work of course. I prefer to try things and learn first hand...

Last edited by a moderator:
im having electrical issues shortly (about three months) after mixing battery brands. have yet to determine if this was the cause. will update if I figure it out soon.

Update. Found the problem. Looks like it wasn't the alt. The main fuse for some reason was preventing full current to run through. Looks like I have to replace it. I put in a maxi fuse for now (usually anl in there) and voltage is back up and now only dips to 13 at high volumes. Looks like alt is in good shape.

Last edited by a moderator:
im having electrical issues shortly (about three months) after mixing battery brands. have yet to determine if this was the cause. will update if I figure it out soon.
Check for loose connections and make sure ground is good...

You will be fine, don't over think it. I've ran AGM and conventional wet cells mixed for a few years with no issues. Internet experts said it wouldn't work of course. I prefer to try things and learn first hand...
This,exactly!

Been running a XS D680 in the trunk with a conventional wet cell up front for a couple months now with no issues. If you have a problem in the future sometimes troubleshooting can be fun!

Batts are tough because you can't see whats happening to them. Most people lost capacity so slowly that they don't notice it.

If you want to prove it get your hands on a Midtronics tester. You can measure the actual CCA. Its not a thorough test but good enough to get you an idea of the health of the batt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVjXnkvdVM4?list=UUpH_iq6ow_jwyGSRZSip50A&index=4&autoplay=1

I had 2 gp 29 marine batts several years ago. I bought them at the same time with the same datecode. Both mounted in the trunk. Just replaced them a year ago when voltage started dipping. Took a midtronics meter to them and there was a ~100 cca difference between them.

Also should note that if you buy 2 identical batts but keep one under hood and other in trunk then don't bother keeping them the same cause they will age differently.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.