Monster speaker wire

nimrod
10+ year member

I have some Monster speaker wire (I know, overpriced and over rated) that I'm going to use for my speakers. My question is.. There is a little plastic tube in the wire (Monster calls it a magnetic flux tube), anyway when I go to crimp on a connector, should I cut the plastic tube off of the portion that is going to be under the crimp, or leave it there? I,ve never seen wire with plastic running through the center of it until this week.

I picked up a few feet of the stuff at Ultimate Electronics just because I needed something to run a ground wire. That stuff is **** near impossible to strip! What a pain in the ass!

I picked up a few feet of the stuff at Ultimate Electronics just because I needed something to run a ground wire. That stuff is **** near impossible to strip! What a pain in the ass!
Is that the stuff where you almost have to strip it twice, once for the insulation, and then there's a slightly harder almost "skin" tight against the wire? Not to mention the plastic center dielectric.

I didn't notice the skin, but the insulation they use is just horrible. It's stiff, it's hard, almost impossible to cut and then once you cut it, you can't just strip it like normal - you have to cut it parallel to the wire and literally peel it off. Horrible.

I'd hate to have to do a full run with this crap. My 1/0 guage welding wire was MUCH easier to work with than this stuff.

I can't believe Ultimate Electronics uses this stuff for their installs. I'd hate to be an installer there. Plus, how many installs are you going to be doing charging $2.75/ft. for the freaking wire?! I'm just glad I only needed a few feet for a ground.

Shouldn't matter either way... Current flows on the outside of the cable anyways, not the inside. I'd save yourself the hastle and leave it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.