My Crossfire FRIED!!!!!

moparerrnocar
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Fargo, ND
Look what happens when you push an amp w/o block fuses well past its thermal capabilities due to being under powered. I had this hooked up at 500 @ 2ohms to two 12's. I over loaded my alt which cooked my voltage regulator b4 I could save the amp. First the amp went.... then my deck reset it's self and not long after I lost all power to everything. Stranded for 2hrs w/o music *****!!!!

I called CF and they will repair it for $150... I'm wondering if it's worth it? Considering it dosn't have any fuses and no thermal sensor??? I can just see me cooking it again, but I know it's a good amp when feed properly. It's just really power hungry at any load...

Tell me if its worth the 150 for repair?

24948310127_large.jpg

24948310129_large.jpg

24948310123_large.jpg

24948310124_large.jpg

24948310125_large.jpg

24948310126_large.jpg

Not sure if its worth it or not. I hate that those amps dont have fuses. I am running the 705d and it went into protect one day, i thought it was toast because there werent any fuses, but its ok.

Just buy yourself some replacement IRF3205 mosfets off of jameco.com for $1.55 each, ALSO test the resistors and replace as necessary, and your amp will probably be good to go again. Looks like a pretty simple fix to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't have your power wires fused???? If not, I don't feel bad for you. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

You don't have your power wires fused???? If not, I don't feel bad for you. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif
Yeah I gotta agree here. If you knew you were supposed to be running an inline fuse and didn't that is the price you pay. If you do have it repaired, when you get it back put a 150a fuse before the input on the amp and you will be good to go.

I had a 100a inline fuse w/4awg. Plenty sufficient if you ask me. I'm talking about an onbord fuse block or a thermal pertect. You guy's need to learn how to read and observe. Crossfire never ran fuses and it's f'n retarded. I'm not looking for sympathy either, I'm simply asking if It's worth fixing???

Not to sound like a dick, but ****... READ!!!! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

yeah an amp can still blow with proper inline fusing.

I agree with the guy above and try and repair it yourself. $10 worth of parts and some time and patience can go a long way. Just test all the parts in the power supply fro shorts. replace all of those power supply fets.

Just buy yourself some replacement IRF3205 mosfets off of jameco.com for $1.55 each, test the resistors and replace as necessary, and your amp will probably be good to go again. Looks like a pretty simple fix to me.
lulz, you ever actually fixed an amp?

stupid question, but if a resistor is fried, what the F_uck are you testing?
...the resistance? If it's good it will read what it's supposed to read, if it's blown it will probably either read open or in the megaohm range. But regardless, repairing an amp is a lot more difficult than just throwing in a few new fets.

Look what happens when you push an amp w/o block fuses well past its thermal capabilities due to being under powered. I over loaded my alt which cooked my voltage regulator b4 I could save the amp.
Pushed to it's thermal limits from being underpowered ? I don't think so...

If your regulator went then the alternator would have been running full field and would be putting out increased voltage... Anything over 16volts is not good for those amps... And you can clearly see it is the power supply fets that burned up...

In this case, I'm not sure either a fuse or thermal protection would have helped...

(an overvoltage protection circuit would have)

...the resistance? If it's good it will read what it's supposed to read, if it's blown it will probably either read open or in the megaohm range. But regardless, repairing an amp is a lot more difficult than just throwing in a few new fets.
^This

I had a 100a inline fuse w/4awg. Plenty sufficient if you ask me. I'm talking about an onbord fuse block or a thermal pertect. You guy's need to learn how to read and observe. Crossfire never ran fuses and it's f'n retarded. I'm not looking for sympathy either, I'm simply asking if It's worth fixing???
Not to sound like a dick, but ****... READ!!!! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
Dude, no offense but I re-read your original post, no mention of a 100Amp inline fuse. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

I've had a lot of experience with many amps that don't have onboard amp protection and all have listed the proper inline fuse rating...when followed, the inline fuse will blow before you fry the amp...are you sure your 100Amp fuse wasn't a tad too big? It appears that it was.

lulz, you ever actually fixed an amp?
Yes, as a matter of fact I've fixed four amps--all for under $15 each. I've also fixed TVs, stereos, video game consoles, and many other electronic items. Nice try, though. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

Have you ever fixed an amp?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.