Need help ASAP! Pioneer headunit wiring!

Ellsworthz
10+ year member

98' firebird, sleeper ftw
Installing a pioneer 7" double din and when I wire everything up it plays radio but won't let me select iPod or "apps" so I can't access the equalizer or play music from an iPod or a phone

One thing that might be the problem is I don't have the parking brake "light green" wire connected to anything I have a relay ordered to bypass the parking brake but I don't think it would affect access to the iPod or apps feature on the headunit?

I'm installing into a ford fusion with "SYNC" and I have a PAC MS-FRD1 with a ton of wiring for steering wheel and voice activation controls but only two main connections for the headunit. I can play radio but can't access anything else

Thanks

What model hu? Is the iPod usb in the back? I had to make sure mine was secure because it wasn't snug. Can you go to the home page and settings? There is a menu that if you scroll down you can turn on the aux and usb from there. The green wire makes no difference, it's only to allow you to watch video with the ebrake on. On most Pioneers you can simply ground the green wire on the hu and you don't need a relay.

And I tried to plug in the iPhone to the USB connecter on the back of the headunit but it only charged the phone it wouldn't play through the speakers when I tried to play music

although you should be able to play music over the usb just fine. I would try a different iphone cable and see what you get. I have seen a lot of those cable fail.

thats what you get for using an iphone/ipod. haha...just kidding. check the cables. make sure they are data and not charge only. the apps i believe are only from an iphone connected. probable a iphone 4s only too. you may need the usb/minijack pioneer cable. it uses the usb for the data and the minijack for the actual audio. stupid pioneer.

Does it play video at all? I'm not 100% (or even 85% for that matter), but I think the green wire affects the dvd, and video via USB connection. If that's not the case, then to use the app mode, or mirror link, or what ever, you have to buy that interface cable. In fact, you do need the cable for app radio, along with mirror link, and navigation if your model does not have nav built in. What sux is, there is only one output for either interface, so you can only choose one!

Regarding the micro-bypass:

I don't think you simply ground the green wire in the 13/14 models. Pioneer switched it up a bit. You can run it to a simple 2-way switch (which is like $2 at Wal-Mart). Run the green to either side you so choose, and the other side of the relay is for the ground wire. Should be good to go after that, but I just don't like the look of random switches in the interior. When you go to use a video function, it will tell you to set the parking brake, toggle the switch, and it should play right away.

I did the relay, and even with it, when it says to set the parking brake, you have to go to the home screen, turn off the unit, turn it back on, and then it will play. Good Luck Hoss!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.