Need help choosing the right voice coils

jcarver
10+ year member

So I need a bunch of help with deciding what ohm coils to get on my speakers and there are a bunch of things I don’t completely understand so here goes.

First Facts:

- The amp is designed to run at 1 ohm but is a very high quality amp and many run it at .5 with no problem.

- The amp is a 2 channel am but can also be run mono

- I will be using 2 subwoofers

- Each woofer will be dvc and can be 1ohm or 2 ohm per coil

My Goal: My amp is going to be a 2200w amp at 1 ohm. 1 of the speakers can handle nearly all of that power. Probably around 1800w. I understand wiring 1 speaker to this amp at 1 ohm is easy. My goal is to get both speakers together to pull as close to 1 ohm as possible, maybe even a little under so that combined they get the full 2200w, 1100w each.

My Concern: One thing I’m considerate of is impedance rise due to the box and wiring. This normally isn’t too bad and doesn’t affect daily music listeners like myself but in my case I think I’m going to see higher than average rise because I will be using 2 subs to 1 amp and 2 separate enclosures that are on the smaller end for my sub. These all cause rise. What I’m afraid of is the amp will end up seeing 1.5 ohms (.25 from each sub)give or take resulting in something like 1700w divided between the two systems making my second speaker a total wash aside from the larger cone area that could be accomplished with just a larger speaker.

My crazy list of questions:

1. Should I link the two subs together then connect them to the mono channel of the amp or should I connect sub 1 to channel 1 and sub 2 to channel 2.

2. If linked together then connected to the mono channel will both subs receive the same power?

3. I see 3 ways to wire these… 1. Series 2. Parallel 3. Series/Parallel….. which would be the best to accomplish what I need

4. If wired in series/parallel with both subs get the same power?

5. Which coils should I get to be wired correctly to get just below 1 ohm before impedance rise?

- I think the answer here is two 2 ohm dvc pired in parallel/parallel to give me .5 at the amp

6. If I wire .5 to the amp I see it going up just a little bit but probably not to 1 ohm, is that correct? If so is there anything I can do to increase it a little to get it to say .75 at the amp?

7. If I wire them to .5 ohms and I dont turn it up all the way can it sill be damaging to the amp. Lets say I only turn it up enough to get the 2200w out of it?

Keep in mind one thing I don’t want to do is wire them exactly at 1 ohm as they would be on paper. Two 1 ohm in Series/Parallel because I’m sure I will lose power after the resistance of both boxes. Unless everyone thinks otherwise //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I'm open to all advice.

Thanks all for your help in advance

Wow! That was a mouthful. The amp will run bridged @ .5 ohm? That would have to a pretty high end amp. Even at 1 ohm bridged I think you're asking a lot. What model amp are we talking about here?

---------- Post added at 09:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 AM ----------

what impedance are your woofers
I don't think he got em' yet. He was asking 1 or 2 ohm.

2 4ohm dvc subs will wire down to 1 ohm and two 2ohm dvc subs will wire down to .5
They only sell Dual 1 or Dual 2

Wow! That was a mouthful. The amp will run bridged @ .5 ohm? That would have to a pretty high end amp. Even at 1 ohm bridged I think you're asking a lot. What model amp are we talking about here?
The Audioque AQ2200D. To save you the time its only rated at 1 ohm stable. My goal is to wire the subs below 1 ohm slightly so that after environmental factors like box and wiring the amp actually sees very close to 1 ohm, Instead of wiring at 1 ohm and the amp actually seeing say 1.2 - 1.5 ohms (killing my power). Possibly even wire at .5 and add something to the speaker wire to increase ohm resistance??? crazy though right but maybe //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I don't think he got em' yet. He was asking 1 or 2 ohm.
Correct... Plan first ... then break the piggy

That's a monoblock. Lol! I thought you were talking about a 2 channel. Get 2 2 ohm subs, wire em' to 1 ohm each parallel and the amp will see .5 ohm. That AQ should be able to do that all day....

First of all the AQ2200 is a one channel amp. Second of all, get either Dual1 ohm of Dual4 ohm coils. Third, you can buy Dual 2 ohm subs and wire them down to .5ohm and then with box rise bring it back to around .8-.9ish.

Honestly, I'd save you, your car's electrical system, and the amp some pain and effort and just wire the subs to 1 ohm and deal with the box rise. it's going to rise at the VERY most .5 ohms, that's maybe 200-300w difference, a very minor number, and if you're not chasing numbers on the TL it will not matter.

That's a monoblock. Lol! I thought you were talking about a 2 channel. Get 2 2 ohm subs, wire em' to 1 ohm each parallel and the amp will see .5 ohm. That AQ should be able to do that all day....
Based on what i see on their website it looks like a 2 channel or mono

AQ2200D Amplifier

First of all the AQ2200 is a one channel amp. Second of all, get either Dual1 ohm of Dual4 ohm coils. Third, you can buy Dual 2 ohm subs and wire them down to .5ohm and then with box rise bring it back to around .8-.9ish.
See above reply about 2 channel, They don't sell Dual 4,

Does everyone agree that if I wire Dual 2 down to .5 that I would likely see .8 to .9 ish at the amp? Is there another way to increase resistance just a little on each speaker like an inline resistor or something?

Honestly, I'd save you, your car's electrical system, and the amp some pain and effort and just wire the subs to 1 ohm and deal with the box rise. it's going to rise at the VERY most .5 ohms, that's maybe 200-300w difference, a very minor number, and if you're not chasing numbers on the TL it will not matter.
It would be more like a 600w change by my calculation and i do like to see what kind of numbers I can hit from time to time I just don't do it as a profession.

It would be more like a 600w change by my calculation and i do like to see what kind of numbers I can hit from time to time I just don't do it as a profession.
If you want to achieve a personal goal, go for it, personally, I wouldn't wire subs down below 1 ohm in a daily driver setup, it's just not neccecary, if you're that worried about power, ditch the 1200/2200 and buy a nice quality 1500/2500w amp, wire it to one ohm, and you'll see the appx. the same power.

Ok so first I was wrong the AQ2200D is a mono amp. There are 2 terminals for each + and - because they think they may need extra room for heavy speaker wire. So all set there.

Second I made a decision after speaking with one of the techs at AQ. His advice was this:

1. They recommend the Dual 1 ohms wired parallel/series to 1 ohm

2. Warranty is void if the power supply comes back fried from wiring to low //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Other comments he made after talking to him a little about what I'm doing:

1. Limits set for minimum ohm are there to keep idiots from just throwing there stuff in a car without proper planning and them getting to fix it on the house.

2. Load at the amp should be close to 1 ohm for idea results

3. What the subs are wired to is only where you start (if you take the time to plan your install). The ultimate factor is what the amp sees.

4. At demo's AQ demos their AQ3500 at .25 ohm but he said they don't recommend anyone do that because they know what there doing and built the electrical to support what there doing. This will void the warranty.

So my take:

I'm wiring them to .5 ohm and I'll make sure my box rise gets me to 1, if not I'll made changes until I get there. My electrical will fully support this setup and I'm even going to put in place a meter to allow me to actively monitor voltage. I'll let you all know how it turns out //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif. Thanks all for the help.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.