Need help installing headunit

BNolan12
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Well I've been out of the game for awhile now but I told my brother I would help him install a headunit in his 2010 GMC Sierra. Needless to say, it didn't go as planned. After I hooked up all power and ground wires how I thought they should be I figured I would test it before connecting the speakers but the unit didn't kick on. So I undid and reconnected everything but still nothing. I know this is a vague explanation but any help is appreciated. Btw, it is a Kenwood head unit.

Well I've been out of the game for awhile now but I told my brother I would help him install a headunit in his 2010 GMC Sierra. Needless to say, it didn't go as planned. After I hooked up all power and ground wires how I thought they should be I figured I would test it before connecting the speakers but the unit didn't kick on. So I undid and reconnected everything but still nothing. I know this is a vague explanation but any help is appreciated. Btw, it is a Kenwood head unit.
Did you purchase the required harness?

No he did not. The local audio store had it for $200+ and he didn't want to spend that. Figured we could just splice the required wires.
Wtf yea thats alot the shop here charged my dad $100 for it but i found it on ebay for $40 (2008 sierra)

Did you cut the factory harness?
I cut the factory harness but left enough wire to reconnect his factory radio in the event that I couldn't figure it out. Which I did end up doing until I figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I cut the factory harness but left enough wire to reconnect his factory radio in the event that I couldn't figure it out. Which I did end up doing until I figure out what I'm doing wrong.
Do you have a multimeter or test light? Did you hook up the yellow (constant +12) and red (acc)?

Do you have a multimeter or test light? Did you hook up the yellow (constant +12) and red (acc)?
Yes, the only three wires I messed with were constant, acc, and ground just to see if I could get it to come on but nothing.

---------- Post added at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 PM ----------

What trim level is this? Did it have on star? If it did not there are some very affordable (like 20 dollar) adapters on ebay.
I'm not sure what you are asking?...

But have you tested the harness to see if it is powered? Try running the hot and acc wires straight to the batt (temporary) to see if the Hu comes on.

Does the truck have onstar. Somethings function through the factory head unit. Turn signal sounds warning chimes etc even if on star is not active.
Yes I believe it did have on star. The guy at the local audio shop said we would lose some chimes and sounds wiring it without a harness.

---------- Post added at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 PM ----------

But have you tested the harness to see if it is powered? Try running the hot and acc wires straight to the batt (temporary) to see if the Hu comes on.

Ok. I will have to try that.

you guys are all just rigging $hit up, you need the $100 harness. ignition is done through data, that's why the interface harness is needed. also for all door chimes and warning sounds from the BCM or ECU.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.