Need help to get a smoother ride for my older chevy truck...

Participant count
  • Participant list

Crodski
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I have a 1990 Lowered Chevy 1500 pickup short bed and the ride is pretty damn bumpy (can feel all the bumps and imperfections of the road and the truck bounces a lot). It has been forever since any suspension stuff has been replaced and I really do not know squat about aftermarket parts or anything about the truck for that matter //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif. What should I be looking for to get replaced to make it a smoother ride than what it is now? Also, what brands do you recommend that are decent? How much would a decent setup cost?

thanks.

On an unrelated note, my passenger door hangs a bit (hard to open, needs extra force to close properly, hard to open, and can tell it is drooping). Is there a way to re-adjust it or maybe there are some parts I could replace? I did ask my local Chevy dealer and they just wanted to replace the whole door.... Is there a better way going about this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you taken the truck to have anything checked out at all?? If not or even if you have. Might wanna check things out for yourself. Like balljoints tie rod ends. On those trucks you have pitman and idler arms. First things to replace are shocks. Now with it being lowered you are going to have to get shocks that are made for lowered vehicles. Also springs as well. Are they very weak, how old is the truck. How is the truck lowered. One big thing is you might not be able to smooth out a lowered vehicles ride. Depending on the lift. If it has blocks in the back. Is this an air ride lowered vehicle.

On the door part. Sounds like the hinge bushings are bad. Your door has a pin going through it holder the door to the body through a hinge the bushing often wear out in time and you notice your door sagging hard to close.

What I suggest is start doing some research on everything. Check out summit for parts and see if they have customer reviews. I think jcwhittney has that kindof thing. Also look into a manual for your truck.

I got a 98 silverado...look up Doestch tech drop shocks //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Can you give us some more info? Like what kind of drop does your truck have? Last time shocks were replaced,ball joints stuff like that etc...

Wow thanks for the information for what little I gave you. I will have to find out everything tomorrow. My dad had it done a longggg time ago so I will have to call him up and see what exactly he had done to the truck. what i do know for right now is that their is like one yellow airshock in the middle of the truck bed but I think it has a leak. Tomorrow when i get home from class I will also check out whats under there as of current. thanks for the help so far though man. and this is not an air ride type lowering kit. i want to say leaf springs etc but i will find out for sure tomorrow.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.