need help with car speakers

massoudjeff
10+ year member

hi everyone i'm new here and would really appreciate some help from anyone. so my problem is that i have two different head units in my 95 civic, i have an unknown model name in dash dvdplayer that stopped playing sound from my speakers two days ago, so earlier tonight i checked all the connections and everything seems fine. my door speakers stopped working but i could still hear my subs bumping, so earlier tonight i changed my dvd player to a dual deck that i have in my fiances car, i put it in connected all the wires and it worked for maybe one minute and then i turned the volume up a little bit and once again all the speakers stopped working but the subs continued. anybody have any ideas on why this would happen. thanks in advance

yea i installed everything myself, i've been a honda certified mechanic for the last 7 years and i only have an amp for the subwoofers, the door and rear deck speakers all go directly off of the head unit. i installed an aftermarket wiring harness for the dvd player and dual radio, both are put into the car one at a time not at the same time i know my original post made it seem like i had two radios in my car at once, but the thing that is bothering me the most is that everything was working perfectly fine for almost 6 months and then two nights ago my fiance put her ipod on my aux cable and turned up the dvd player to 15 which is 1/4 of the maximum volume and all four speakers cut out and only the subs could be heard. i dont know what could cause this i've never experienced anything like this in all my years of working on cars and fixing them.

If we're talking about a 95 civic, I'd check the speaker wire runs throughout the car for deterioration. Also, may just be time to replace the speakers. I'm thinking they got clipped too heavily a couple times and now can't really take any kind of power

iust worried that my radios didnt get fried because they worked for a little bit along with all the speakers and now they dont i'm going to try to just connect the radio to another set of speakers in my wifes car and see if that helps cuz i really dont wanna drop another 500 on two more radios lol

You dropped 500 on an unknown name dvd set, and a dual player? I'm sorry but you got ripped off man.

Dual isn't a good brand, not trying to hate or anything but it's probably sending heavily clipped signals to everything and could ruin your subs too...

o no lol i didnt spend 500 on those i got the dvd player for free out of an old rsx at my old job and the dual radio i got at walmart for like 100 i just dont want to spend around 500 to get two new radios if these two are blown sorry for the confusion

o no lol i didnt spend 500 on those i got the dvd player for free out of an old rsx at my old job and the dual radio i got at walmart for like 100 i just dont want to spend around 500 to get two new radios if these two are blown sorry for the confusion
Makes sense. No need to spend 500 on two new radios. The cz702, and 80prs have everything you could want without DVD, capable of running active and have some of the best sound quality for single dins. Other than that, some of the Pioneer lines... (the 3200DVD) comes to mind have DVD, bluetooth, ipod, etc. for under 300 and they have pretty good SQ too.

With 500, you could get an amp, a headunit, and some component speakers that would blow the ones you have now out of the water.

yea i would love to be able to do that lol but i have my lil 3 yr old so i dont want something too too extreme even though i still would like it in my car but i just need to know if somehow someway that both of my headunits could be damaged i was going to try to disconnect the aux cables for the amp to see if it would work then because i've heard that the amp can sometimes send power back up the rca's and damage the head units internal amp

yea i would love to be able to do that lol but i have my lil 3 yr old so i dont want something too too extreme even though i still would like it in my car but i just need to know if somehow someway that both of my headunits could be damaged i was going to try to disconnect the aux cables for the amp to see if it would work then because i've heard that the amp can sometimes send power back up the rca's and damage the head units internal amp
Your mp3/ipod only puts out a tiny tiny amount of power. Nowhere near enough to blow a headunit. I would take the headunit out and test some other speakers on it. Just run a wire from a speaker to where the other speaker is currently, if it works... check the speaker wires. In my girlfriends car, her speaker wire cut out on one side (split from the door between the panel and car) and both sides stopped working because it was shorting the stereo.

yea i was going to check that or at least try and get a cheap dmm to see if the headunit is throwing power out to the speakers to see if maybe i just need to rewire the speakers themselves but i wont be doing that today lol its -15 with the windchill right now lol so maybe later on in the week when its slightly warmer out haha but first i'll check a speaker directly to the headunit

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.