New Battery...or New Alternator?

3Series Banger
10+ year member

Bay Area
I have a '99 Honda Accord V6 coupe.

THe other day, was extremely hot (96 degrees) here in Northern California, so I turned on my AC the whole day while playing my system.

I'm currently running

1 15" TC-3000

1 Sundown 1500D

Rainbow germ comps

Diamond D7152

So ~1800 watts.

As I was saying, driving with the AC on eventually started making a weird whining sound that I assumed to be my alternator. While driving at night, I noticed my lights getting considerably dimmer and dimmer as it went.

Eventually, I turned off my car to take a look at all the connections. Check. All good with the connections. Next thing you know when I try to turn my car on, the engine won't crank.

I jump started my battery because I figured the battery was drained, and the car worked.

From then on I assumed my alternator/battery was failing, but not completely sure. While driving home the electrical system died out on me, and now I am forced to tow my car back home.

Anybody know what is wrong? My stock alt is ~100amps if I am not mistaken.

Help!

i did a honda accord 95 4 door 4 cyl for my customer

clarion HU

planet audio 1350.1 fused with 40 amp blades 3 each

rd 85.2 x 2 fused with 30 amp blade each

4 awg power

oawg grounds

infinity front stage and rear fill

bosch factory battery under hood

kinetic 800 in trunk

maintains 13.5 to 14 volts

when lights on , ac on , and bass cranked 12 volts

^how did your post about your customers car help me? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

Appreciate the replies though.

^how did your post about your customers car help me? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

Appreciate the replies though.
just get a new battery, HO alt, and an extra battery...seems like you got the cash for it...and also in case you go bigger one day

You didn't answer about having the Big 3 done. So, if you haven't done it yet, that is a good place to start. Then, if that doesn't solve the problem, upgrade to a better battery under the hood. If necessary, HO alt. Basically, just do 1 step at a time until the problem is solved.

just get a new battery, HO alt, and an extra battery...seems like you got the cash for it...and also in case you go bigger one day
I in no way do not have the cash for it. I'm a college student, and I worked 5 months 40+ hr week getting paid $13/hr in order to get the equipment. After working and saving, I quit my job to focus on school, which meant I had to use what I saved up to survive.

Thankfully school ends in a week, so I can charge the alternator on my cred card so I can get back to working.

All in all, figured its my alternator that just crapped out on me.

question is...150 amp or 200 amp HO alt?

i would get the battery tested and the alt tested do the big 3 and go from there. bat and alt can be checked for free at autozone. a bad alt can kill a battery.

You need a new alt even if that alt hasn't gone bad. 100 amp alt cannot handle 1800RMS. Ideally, you'd want one that can do about 200.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.