New to subs..help? Subs drowning out speakers!

Participant count
  • Participant list

jcp42877

So i FINALLY got my x3 Kicker Comp 12s in my Passport, and they sure do thump, but they drown out my stock speakers! (at least i think they're stock)

I fiddled with the GAIN some and that helped so i could crank my stereo a bit more, but they still hit loud, and they feel a bit loose in sound quality. Could adjusting the frequency help??? They're set at around 15hz right now, but my slit knob can go to 50hz. My buddy said frequency affects tightness, but i forgot if it was a higher or lower Hz that got more "trebly". And do i need to adjust the "BASS" control on my stereo unit too?

Also, I'm looking at swapping my front and rear speakers with Alpine 6 1/2"s. The guy at Best Buy said PolkAudio were probably the best in "rounded" terms, but when i mentioned my 3 Kickers, he said, "Well then i'd recommend Alpines...they'll give you a LOT more highs to even out with all that bass"

Are they a pretty good speaker brand?

Thanks guys!

Well, the kicker comps don't have just the best tightness to begin with so there is only so much you can do there, I do like them as a speaker for the price, but don't expect phenomenal results. Set the filter on your amp to low pass and I would say somewhere between 80-100 Hz low pass would be pretty good for them. Unfortunately with just stock components those subs are more than likely going to dull them out no mater what. Alpine isn't bad if you don't want to spend alot of money, I would honestly recommend putting a amp on your highs to... on your HU, I like to have the bass setting turned down....

Getting speakers to keep up with those subs will cost more than your sub investment and take a lot more time to get right.

But it is important to have a musical system.

Alpine type-R are decent. You need an amp for the speakers to get enough volume.

Hertz are quite efficient, as are JBL. Both will give you more output for your available power.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.