No sound from subs :( long read...

Participant count
  • Participant list

jcp42877

So yesterday I bought an enclosure with 3 12" Kicker Comps, a 1000w TMA amp, and the wiring kit from a buddy of a buddy for $300. It sounded EPIC in my buddy's car (he already has a system and swapped his to try mine) and I can't wait to hear it..but there have been problems:

We spent almost 5 hrs yesterday intsalling everything and going to different stores, but the main thing we found is my old Kenwood after market head unit didn't have a remote plug in, until we realized the P CONT wire was the one...well we tried to splice them but the amp never powered.

So today, i take it to a car installation place to get them to look at it and they tell me to splice the exact wires me and my buddy did..so i do it. Well this time the amp powers on! I am so rejoiced. So I plug in my FM transmitter just to find my ipod is only playing through my speakers..no subs >//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

So i call my buddy and he says maybe there is a sub output option on your head unit you ned to turn on. Well, lo' and behold there isn't one, and i believe the L + R RCA inputs on the back are for additional speakers, not subs.

So i go to Best Buy and buy a fairly nice Sony head unit with a set of sub outputs and an AUX input (been wanting one)...but my 2000 Honda Passport's wiring is already bundled and a real mess in there, so i didn't want to mess anything up and start splicing, so now i still haven't heard my system and i am contemplating paying Best Buy to deal with the problem.

I just want to hear the dang subs already in my OWN car. Every cord we checked, they all work, fuse works, everything..just no sound from the subs //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

You sure the RCA's aren't in the line outputs on the amp?

RCA cables can fail. Try unplugging just one to verify phase.

Use a DMM to measure resistance at the speaker wires, disconnected from the amp. Do this to verify sub wiring.

i hate when you go through all the install steps and then run into troubles. its part of it though. you learn from it

anyways try trouble shooting it step by step and a few different things.

first make sure the amp for sure powers up and isnt in protect or anything else, then try some of the following

1) make sure both head units rca outputs actually send out signal. i imagine the new sony should be in perfect working order. and with your old pioneer hu, i dont think it has to be subwoofer outputs to send a singal to the sub amp. so maybe you didnt have to go out and buy a new hu.

2) try plugging in an ipod directly into the amp wiht one of those "rca y cables". this will test to make sure the amps rca inputs actually work and can receive a signal.

3) check to make sure either the new or old headunit can send output. i usually do this just by plugging rcas from back of hu into a little boombox or home stereo that has an auxilary feature (most stereos dO)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.