O hello midbass

Participant count
  • Participant list
So I have two 4" coaxial speakers on my dash and two 6x9" coaxials on my rear dash along with a 12" sealed Fi. The 4 speakers are all getting 45 watts RMS each from an amp and the sub has 1000 RMS. I have turned all crossovers leading to the coaxials off so they are getting a full signal straight from the amp and they have no midbass at all.

The bass is either really deep or none at all and it's pretty annoying. It's obvious that there's stuff missing from songs and I really don't know what to do other than buy new speakers?

You want the crossovers for any mids to be around 80hz. Forcing speakers to play anything lower than that can really mess up a lot of the sound.

Yes, they were set around 80hz before but there was no midbass at all :s

I spent about an hour trying all different crossover settings and different attenuation levels and I just can't get the highs to blend in with the sub.

If anyone has any suggestion, I shall try it.

Yes, they were set around 80hz before but there was no midbass at all :s
I spent about an hour trying all different crossover settings and different attenuation levels and I just can't get the highs to blend in with the sub.
Personally I would look to focus on your front stage. Once you start getting out of bass frequencies, the sound becomes directional (i.e. you can tell where its coming from). Your front stage uses 4" coaxials. For one, a 4" speaker isn't going to have very good midbass response. Secondly, as it's a coaxial, you lose some cone area because you sacrifice a place for the tweeter to sit. For a first step I would at least switch over to some 6.5" coaxials, if your door can't fit it you might have to cut it out. Deadening is going to help a ton for midbass but I wouldn't start dumping cash into deadening if you're only uses 4" speakers

Your front stage uses 4" coaxials. For one, a 4" speaker isn't going to have very good midbass response. Secondly, as it's a coaxial, you lose some cone area because you sacrifice a place for the tweeter to sit.
This pretty much confirms what I thought. Was hoping I could get away with 4" but it's not working lolz. I will get some 6.5 component speakers. Thanks for the help //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

midbass is more than deadening and cone area. midbass requires airtight seals between the listening space and rear cavity. your dash lacks a sealed cavity so no speaker in there will give midbass until you seal up the airspace. even a 4" can play midbass if it has a sealed cavity.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.