Our review and look at the Threatcon 2 12" driver

pro-rabbit
5,000+ posts

OKC, OK
C2 Audio Threatcon 2 12”

When looking at drivers that are below the $150 price point you have to consider a few things. Enclosure size and power handling are always some of the first things that come into everyone’s mind. With the Threatcon 2 enclosure parameters vary greatly, but from our tests we have found that in a sealed enclosure you can get them to perform very well in 0.75 - 1 ft3 of net volume. The driver performs extremely well producing a nice response well down into the 30’s and even into the higher 20’s. Which for mobile applications is exactly what you would be looking for. However, they performed rather well down into the .7ft3 sealed enclosures and on the higher side they did fairly well in 1.5ft3 but of course they became rather “boomy” and not as exact sounding.

In a standard ported enclosure we found them to perform extremely well in 1.8 to 2.0 ft3 for a great mix of SQ and amazing output. Port area seems to be more ideal around 14in2 per 1ft3 of volume. Tuning can be adjusted to a more personal desired level, but for SQ testing we found that in most trunk cars a tuning of around 34-36 was idea, while hatch backs and SUV style applications liked 32-33 a little more. We did some testing with ported enclosures as small as 1ft3 and as large as 2.25 with good results both ways. With larger enclosures power capabilities are cut drastically, but low end extension is increased.

As for power capabilities it is rated a very modest 600rms. We did most of our tests with a max clamp power of 821.2 watts with no issues with the exception of a 2.5 ported enclosure were we could surpass the mechanical limits at anything over 500rms, which is still very acceptable. During some more torture style tests we did get 1512 watts before we ran into issues with thermal capabilities for any tests longer than a few minutes. We also did several tests with very low power. In a sealed application 150 watts provided a very nice and smooth sound that was rather impressive and blended very easily. In ported 100 watts provided the same response style. However, power handling is subject to the owners’ ability to set up their system correctly to ensure that they do not clip the signal. The enclosure design will also reflect the overall response curve greatly. A sub is only as good as the enclosure it is installed in.

As for sound, this driver does an amazing job at simply doing just that. While it can get a little bottom heavy in some styles of enclosures, that is more based on how you setup the enclosure and amplifier/eq settings. If you take the time to design an enclosure and set everything correctly, this sub will perform very well and you will quickly forget that this is a sub $150 driver. It can easily perform with subs of double its cost.

We did some testing with random people (anyone we could get to sit in the car at the show we were at), and asked them to describe the sound, output, and then suggest what they think the driver is (brand, model, size). Most described the driver in the sealed enclosure to be “very precise” and “extremely clean sounding”. While the ported enclosure we heard similar reports, but with the added “the output is impressive”. Most thought it was a pair of drivers that would cost double or triple the cost. All though, we will not go into the names of those companies. Most were beyond shocked when we told them, not only is this a single driver setup, but it is under $150 retail pricing.

So in conclusion this driver out performs its price range. The design of the driver and philosophy behinds its’ conception will keep this product around for a long time. The overall usability will allow this driver to be used in a very wide range of applications and for a wide range of goals. Bottom line is for the $129 price tag there is little on the market today that will be placed in the same category as the Threatcon 2, for performance versus cost.

C2 Audio Threatcon 2 12”
When looking at drivers that are below the $150 price point you have to consider a few things. Enclosure size and power handling are always some of the first things that come into everyone’s mind. With the Threatcon 2 enclosure parameters vary greatly, but from our tests we have found that in a sealed enclosure you can get them to perform very well in 0.75 - 1 ft3 of net volume. The driver performs extremely well producing a nice response well down into the 30’s and even into the higher 20’s. Which for mobile applications is exactly what you would be looking for. However, they performed rather well down into the .7ft3 sealed enclosures and on the higher side they did fairly well in 1.5ft3 but of course they became rather “boomy” and not as exact sounding.

In a standard ported enclosure we found them to perform extremely well in 1.8 to 2.0 ft3 for a great mix of SQ and amazing output. Port area seems to be more ideal around 14in2 per 1ft3 of volume. Tuning can be adjusted to a more personal desired level, but for SQ testing we found that in most trunk cars a tuning of around 34-36 was idea, while hatch backs and SUV style applications liked 32-33 a little more. We did some testing with ported enclosures as small as 1ft3 and as large as 2.25 with good results both ways. With larger enclosures power capabilities are cut drastically, but low end extension is increased.

As for power capabilities it is rated a very modest 600rms. We did most of our tests with a max clamp power of 821.2 watts with no issues with the exception of a 2.5 ported enclosure were we could surpass the mechanical limits at anything over 500rms, which is still very acceptable. During some more torture style tests we did get 1512 watts before we ran into issues with thermal capabilities for any tests longer than a few minutes. We also did several tests with very low power. In a sealed application 150 watts provided a very nice and smooth sound that was rather impressive and blended very easily. In ported 100 watts provided the same response style. However, power handling is subject to the owners’ ability to set up their system correctly to ensure that they do not clip the signal. The enclosure design will also reflect the overall response curve greatly. A sub is only as good as the enclosure it is installed in.

As for sound, this driver does an amazing job at simply doing just that. While it can get a little bottom heavy in some styles of enclosures, that is more based on how you setup the enclosure and amplifier/eq settings. If you take the time to design an enclosure and set everything correctly, this sub will perform very well and you will quickly forget that this is a sub $150 driver. It can easily perform with subs of double its cost.

We did some testing with random people (anyone we could get to sit in the car at the show we were at), and asked them to describe the sound, output, and then suggest what they think the driver is (brand, model, size). Most described the driver in the sealed enclosure to be “very precise” and “extremely clean sounding”. While the ported enclosure we heard similar reports, but with the added “the output is impressive”. Most thought it was a pair of drivers that would cost double or triple the cost. All though, we will not go into the names of those companies. Most were beyond shocked when we told them, not only is this a single driver setup, but it is under $150 retail pricing.

So in conclusion this driver out performs its price range. The design of the driver and philosophy behinds its’ conception will keep this product around for a long time. The overall usability will allow this driver to be used in a very wide range of applications and for a wide range of goals. Bottom line is for the $129 price tag there is little on the market today that will be placed in the same category as the Threatcon 2, for performance versus cost.
Glad to see I am not the only person that was thinking this. I love the review and your findings are very similar to what my ears were telling me when I auditioned my Threatcon 2's in both ported and sealed enclosures. I ran a pair sealed on a cheapy amp I had laying around (pioneer 2 channel bridged to 380 watts rms at 4 ohms) and it was so smooth sounding . A real pleasure to listen to and made me not care that it wasn't the ground pounding bass I usually am going for. Don't get me wrong though they had plenty of output and sounded fantastic on whatever I wanted to listen to. I had my pair in about 2.5 cubes net with no polyfil . Ported was great also. Ran a single 12 in 1.8 cubes net tuned to 32-33 hz with a 4" aero and it gave me the added bump I am used to in the lower frequencies but still did a great job of hitting those higher sub bass tones that some subwoofers have trouble with. I ran an ED nine.1 at 2 ohms for most of my ported testing (approx. 800-900 watts) but I also ran that cheap pioneer amp again on the single 12 at 2 ohms mono and the output was still very respectable at about half the power it was seeing with the other amp . Surprisingly also that cheap *** pioneer didnt mind the 2 ohm mono load and kept pounding away.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know I am am very impressed with my two!!!! I have them in a ported enclosure built by DC Creations that was originally made for two SA12's, it works great with these subs.

I think you guys might have talked me into running mine sealed 1.5-2 ft3 a chamber
Depending on the power you have on hand, you may want to limit the size. If you use larger sealed or ported enclosures you will likely reach the mechanical limits of the driver. On the other hand if you are using a lower power application then you would like be just fine.

Depending on the power you have on hand, you may want to limit the size. If you use larger sealed or ported enclosures you will likely reach the mechanical limits of the driver. On the other hand if you are using a lower power application then you would like be just fine.
I'm gonna run my American Bass 2680.1 @ .5 on the 2 15"s I pre ordered..The amp is 1300-RMS@1ohm. What do you think on box? Or maybe I just keep the final load at 2ohms and call it a day? The subs are dual 2 obviously lol any ideas would be sweet.

Mine is in a 2.5 with a 4 inch aero on 1k, does as good and sounds as good as the sa I had. Also running 1k daily unclipped and it sounds good and plays decaffed songs with ease

I'm gonna run my American Bass 2680.1 @ .5 on the 2 15"s I pre ordered..The amp is 1300-RMS@1ohm. What do you think on box? Or maybe I just keep the final load at 2ohms and call it a day? The subs are dual 2 obviously lol any ideas would be sweet.
I would have to run some numbers for the 25 but I would think 1.75 -2.25 sealed would be ok. In your case some where in the middle would be good.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

pro-rabbit

5,000+ posts
pro-rabbit
OKC, OK
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from