Phase two

Participant count
  • Participant list

Bun-Bun
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Saskatoon
Ok so I finally got my HU and speakers in my new car... now onto the next phase.

My plans are big 3 and 1/0 cable runs underneath car to a second battery in the trunk. Now I don't have a ton of cash but I need to get this done this summer... I miss my subs but I don't want to do a crappy install (like I did last time... well it wasn't crappy but I wasn't happy)

Anyway... what is a good (but not expensive) battery that I can put in the trunk? should I enclose it somehow or how should I mount it? since I am putting a good battery in the back do I need to upgrade the one up front?

Ok so I finally got my HU and speakers in my new car... now onto the next phase.
My plans are big 3 and 1/0 cable runs underneath car to a second battery in the trunk. Now I don't have a ton of cash but I need to get this done this summer... I miss my subs but I don't want to do a crappy install (like I did last time... well it wasn't crappy but I wasn't happy)

Anyway... what is a good (but not expensive) battery that I can put in the trunk? should I enclose it somehow or how should I mount it? since I am putting a good battery in the back do I need to upgrade the one up front?
anytime you have a battery in an enclosed cabin you need to vent the battery to the outside of the vehicle.

so go to http://www.summitracing.com

look up sealed battery boxes w vent tube and go to work.

while you may purchase a sealed battery the point of the battery box with vent is in case of a collision if your battery breaks open you are not venting acid vapors into the cabin.

I see tons of guys here not put their batteries in vented boxes and I cringe at the possible outcomes from being rear ended or otherwise crashing the vehicle.

anytime you have a battery in an enclosed cabin you need to vent the battery to the outside of the vehicle.
so go to www.summitracing.com

look up sealed battery boxes w vent tube and go to work.

while you may purchase a sealed battery the point of the battery box with vent is in case of a collision if your battery breaks open you are not venting acid vapors into the cabin.

I see tons of guys here not put their batteries in vented boxes and I cringe at the possible outcomes from being rear ended or otherwise crashing the vehicle.
Would you then recommend just taking the 1/0 runs to distribution blocks in the trunk and upgrading the main battery instead?

The absolute most I see myself doing is 2-3k watts to my subs plus the front and rear stage. However I am currently running a Memphis 1000D to 4 x 10" PR's with the soon upgrade to 2 x 12" DD 2500's off the same amp... though I think I will want to upgrade my amp after that so I want to make sure my electrical can handle it.

What about just a couple caps back there instead of a second battery?

EDIT:

Actually those vented boxes don't like like to big of a deal. Could easily mount one next to the wheel well in the trunk.

not all batteries have to be vented and in a box just have to get sealed bats like optimas

look in ur local craigslist for a cheap yellow top/ redtop and replace the front battery before adding a rear

no caps caps=the sux

not all batteries have to be vented and in a box just have to get sealed bats like optimas
look in ur local craigslist for a cheap yellow top/ redtop and replace the front battery before adding a rear

no caps caps=the sux
Are there any craiglist's in canada? I can't check while im at work >.

So you would replace the stock battery and just put pos/neg distribution blocks in the trunk off the 1/0 cable runs?

Also im not sure if I will need a bigger alernator. The stock one in the 07 MGM is pretty beefy. I can't remember exactly but its either 140 or 160 amp.

What are some other good batteries that are inexpensive?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.