Pioneer 880 Ipod interface

tez4life
Premium Member

Premium Member
Mobile, Al
For those that own it, how is it?

Im looking for an active HU, and I currently have a 80g Ipod classic. I have my eyes on the Pioneer unit, but I was curious how is the ipod controls on the HU, from those that have had it. Thanks.

For those that own it, how is it?
Im looking for an active HU, and I currently have a 80g Ipod classic. I have my eyes on the Pioneer unit, but I was curious how is the ipod controls on the HU, from those that have had it. Thanks.
x2

Its somewhat average compared to the Alpines interface. Playlists do not shift as quick and song activation is slightly delayed. Only about a second more. Some may say it's slow but you do get used to it. With my experience its sometimes a bitch to scroll through your playlist's as you have to file through in ABC order. So if you are trying to get to let's say your Metallica playlist, you'll have to scroll through each individual playlist to get to it in which thats what takes a little while to do. Thats my only complaint with the 880's interface.

Millertime explained it as accurately as possible. It's not terrible, but scrolling through does take forever and there is a delay when selecting a song. I have more of an issue with the 880 skipping on cds from bass than I do with the ipod controll though.

Mine was decently fast until I hit about 4500 songs on my iPod. I'm at 4900 right now and it's slow as all hell right now. I'm going to go through my iPod and delete songs I don't listen to to try and speed it back up. I'm also using a second gen touch. It's not compatible with charging, so I wonder if there's any other compatibility issues with it that would make it run that slow. As far as SQ goes, obviously "iPod" and "SQ" don't belong in the same sentence, but I have to say it's better than any non full speed iPod deck I've ever used. There's absolutely no noise, unlike my Alpine 9855/KCA-420i combo I previously ran. My only complaint would be the speed of it.

Its somewhat average compared to the Alpines interface. Playlists do not shift as quick and song activation is slightly delayed. Only about a second more. Some may say it's slow but you do get used to it. With my experience its sometimes a bitch to scroll through your playlist's as you have to file through in ABC order. So if you are trying to get to let's say your Metallica playlist, you'll have to scroll through each individual playlist to get to it in which thats what takes a little while to do. Thats my only complaint with the 880's interface.

Thanks for the feedback Millertime. Yea, I just recently picked up this Ipod from a local guy off craiglist, and im in the process of tranfering my music to the unit. I only have had time to do a couple of playlist, so im having to go through the Ipod with my current HU to get to songs I want, and its a slight pain in the ass lol.

Im really split between the Pioneer and a Alpine unit, (9886 or 9887 with Imprint). I like the Pioneer's adjustments built in without the purchased of an addition unit, but ive heard rave reviews about Alpines Ipod interface.

I can trade with this guy for my current HU for the Pioneer, just wanted some input on the Ipod interface.

Millertime explained it as accurately as possible. It's not terrible, but scrolling through does take forever and there is a delay when selecting a song. I have more of an issue with the 880 skipping on cds from bass than I do with the ipod controll though.
I know what your saying, I had a Pioneer 6000UB I sold recently, and borrowed a coworkers 8g Ipod Nano (most recent version). Worked very well for the day I used it, but that delay was quite annoying.

Mine was decently fast until I hit about 4500 songs on my iPod. I'm at 4900 right now and it's slow as all hell right now. I'm going to go through my iPod and delete songs I don't listen to to try and speed it back up. I'm also using a second gen touch. It's not compatible with charging, so I wonder if there's any other compatibility issues with it that would make it run that slow. As far as SQ goes, obviously "iPod" and "SQ" don't belong in the same sentence, but I have to say it's better than any non full speed iPod deck I've ever used. There's absolutely no noise, unlike my Alpine 9855/KCA-420i combo I previously ran. My only complaint would be the speed of it.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif I currently have 4800 mp3s in my Ipod and alot more to add. But thats understandable about the compatibility issues, could be similar to the issue with the unit not being able to charge it as well.

And yea, "SQ" and "iPod" def dont go together, but im not necessary going for a "SQ" setup, im using raw drivers again, and I want some control and finesse from the driver's seat.

Thanks for the input as well fellas.

Well decided to update this a bit, went with the combo listed above and could not be happier. The interface was just as everyone mention, but im getting use to it, and it sounds much better than it did with the JVC.

Thanks for the input fellas.

And BTW, the 880 is awesome //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

not a big deal but you cant display artist and song title at the same time which is aggrivating. I figured out that if u hold the "home" button on the ipod for a few second u can control music through the ipod instead of the slow interface.

That information helps me quite a bit. Since I had my Alpine CDA 9886, I have went through 3 IPODS. It bummed me out because I like the 9886 but I can't keep going through IPODS. I like Pioneer but do not like the look of any of their head units except for the P800prs. To me it looks awesome and would be the only one I would consider running. I got a really good deal on it this morning.

The IPOD controls are pretty good and fairly quick. What would have made the difference would be having the option to scroll through the alphabet from A-Z quickly like the other Pioneer units have. Other than that this head unit is awesome to say the least.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.