Please help me make my system sound good!!

delussional77
10+ year member

Okay, the essentials:

(x2) 12" IDMAX subs

(x1) Nine.1 amplifier

(x1) 32hz ported box (two single chambers with a 32hz port for each)

(x1) crappy JVC headunit

All in a 1999 Suburban. I removed the rear 3rd seat and placed the speaker box in it's place, subs firing toward the rear doors.

Ok, so the problem. I absolutely cannot make my subs sound good. Everything sounds muddled and punchy. Almost as if it can't make up it's mind between a ported system and a sealed system. I've had sealed systems which can't punch as hard as this system. It gets plenty LOUD but it sounds like complete crap while it does it. Almost like the speakers are distorting or clipping but I have my gains set very conservatively.

My two biggest problems.

1) I need to sound deaden. Bad. But how much of a difference can I expect the sound deadening to make? I know the muddiness that I'm hearing must have something to do with the vibration that the car is experiencing. But will sound deadening the whole burb actually improve the situation? Keep in mind...a full size Suburban is going to take a TON of sound deadening to improve.

2) I have absolutely no idea where to set my amplifier settings. I have an LPF, Sub-Sonic, Gain, Bass-Boost, and Phase. I keep the phase pretty much set at 0 but can't really tell a difference all the way up to 180. I keep the gain very, very conservative. Not more than 1/4 of the way up if even that. I try to keep the Bass Boost conservative as well but it is probably up at 1/3 of the way. The LPF and Sub-sonic I constantly try and chance. With my box ported at 32hz I'm wondering if there is supposed to be an ideal place to have all of these controls.

So...I'm really looking for some advice or guidance. I spent a lot of time installing the system and hate that it sounds so crappy and not like the deep, booming bass that previous installs in other cars have had.

Thanks!

ok Im going to try and help you out . . .

First set your Low pass filter on your subwoofer amplifier to around 80hz if it swings from 50 to 250 10 to 11 o'clock should be around 80, or you could get an 80hz test tone and turn the pot till the tone becomes quiter then go back a little and your in the ball park.

Second set your subsonic filter to around 25hz there is a formula I have heard of people using I think its 3/4's of the tuning so 26hz. Most amps are not marked only the limits of the crossover so again your going to have to kinda guess.

Third turn off all equalizers and bass boost on your head unit and turn it to 3/4 or as loud as it will go without clipping. Obtain a multi meter. Do this equation SQRT(rms power of amplifier or the max the subs can take X the resistance of your subwoofers wired to your amp). plug the leads into your outputs of the amplifier with out subs conected some argue to have them hooked up but idk. then turn the gain untill you get the value we calculated erlier. Also forgot to add make sure subwoofer level on the headunit is all the way up and that you have the pre outs set for the sub not the rear speakers or fronts as I have done this and my sub sounded funny.

Your subs are known for there sound quality so they should not be sounding bad in anyway.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: The phase control is for helping the subwoofer integrate better with your mid bass

Well i can comment on the sound deadening part.lol be4 i deadened my camry it sounded like a tin can getting ripped to shreads!lol it sounded horrible outside. Then i went to lowes and got some of that peel n seal stuff and put 2 layers on my trunk lid and 1 layer everywere else and my car sounded sweet! I didnt rattle and sound like ish!lol and the best part about it was peel n seal worked great and it was really cheap like 14$ for a roll like 10"*36' or somethin real close to that did my whole car a 2000 camry for under 100$ it was awsome! It increased my bass response witch has to do with SQ so i would say go buy like 5 rolls of that stuff bout 75$ and deaden the ish out of your truck you deffinatly wont be dissapointed. I was a little skeptical at first so i only got 1 roll and after that i tore mu whole car apart and went crazy (maybe just a little overboard)with the deadening and now im veryyyy pleased with the results! Hope this helps! Just trying to save you domr cheddar cuz deadeng is expensive

ok Im going to try and help you out . . .
First set your Low pass filter on your subwoofer amplifier to around 80hz if it swings from 50 to 250 10 to 11 o'clock should be around 80, or you could get an 80hz test tone and turn the pot till the tone becomes quiter then go back a little and your in the ball park.

Second set your subsonic filter to around 25hz there is a formula I have heard of people using I think its 3/4's of the tuning so 26hz. Most amps are not marked only the limits of the crossover so again your going to have to kinda guess.

Third turn off all equalizers and bass boost on your head unit and turn it to 3/4 or as loud as it will go without clipping. Obtain a multi meter. Do this equation SQRT(rms power of amplifier or the max the subs can take X the resistance of your subwoofers wired to your amp). plug the leads into your outputs of the amplifier with out subs conected some argue to have them hooked up but idk. then turn the gain untill you get the value we calculated erlier. Also forgot to add make sure subwoofer level on the headunit is all the way up and that you have the pre outs set for the sub not the rear speakers or fronts as I have done this and my sub sounded funny.

Your subs are known for there sound quality so they should not be sounding bad in anyway.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: The phase control is for helping the subwoofer integrate better with your mid bass
I agree with everything you said, except that formula to calculate your SSF setting. The SSF is there to keep your sub from over excurting once the signal deviates below enclosure tuning. When you go below encl tuning, the sub unloads, and cone excursion increases rapidly. So as you can imagine, how quickly the system unloading will lead to over excursion relies on three criteria mainly: subwoofer's excursion potential (xmech in this case), power delivered to the sub, and enclosure size. In other words, there is no generic calculation to figure your SSF setting, every system is different. Whoever told you there is, doesn't understand the physics of the sub unloading below tuning.

The closest you'll get to an equation that is still a valid answer would be, you can generally go a half octave below enclosure tuning as your starting point to get you in the ballpark, and then adjust the SSF according to your specific system and needs.

OP, I would also add that you might try moving your enclosure around to see how response changes. Try moving it closer or further from the tailgate, turing it to fire up, forward, etc. Try as many different positions as the enclosure and vehicle will allow. You might be surprised how much of a difference in response and output this can make.

Thanks for the input guys. I will be moving the box around the car soon. I'll try to set my LPF and subsonic accordingly. Sound-deadening might be something that I work on later when the weather warms up.

Thanks a lot for the advice everyone!!

Like audioholic said the placement of the box does have alot to do with it. But if i was you and didnt want to deaden the whole burban just do the area where the subs will be at. That is where you would get your most improvement from. Good luck!

Thanks guys! With the subs aimed at the back i seem to get the most "rattle" from the rear doors and (not surprisingly) the roof!

I'm going to reposition the box this weekend. Any more advice on the LPF/Sub-Sonic/etc controls on the amp?

I'm going to play around with it a lot this weekend!

Thanks guys! With the subs aimed at the back i seem to get the most "rattle" from the rear doors and (not surprisingly) the roof!
I'm going to reposition the box this weekend. Any more advice on the LPF/Sub-Sonic/etc controls on the amp?

I'm going to play around with it a lot this weekend!
Explosivecookie gave pretty good advice on what to set your amplifier xover and SSF to (except that SSF formula, probably just set it to low 20's and forget it).
Good luck and let us know the results of these changes.

Yes, I agree, he did! I just wanted to see if anybody else had any different feedback. I'm thinking that changing the box position will make a huge improvement on the sound quality that I'm experiencing in the driver's seat. Hopefully the sound deadener will only reinforce the changes I'm making.

Thanks guys!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.