popping sound

fatryan
5,000+ posts

Banned
i noticed a popping sound coming from my subs once in a while. i wasnt sure if it was in my head or something though cause its hard to hear it when the volume is cranked. but my boy heard it today, so that confermirmed it. it only does it when i have it to the max i turn it up to and i only seems to do it on select songs. one song i know it does it on is Bravehearts - Quick to back down. thats a high bass song, but i have other songs that have alot more bass and it dont do it on them. furthermore, i have a track that covers an extremely wide range of frequecies, and it also doesnt do it on that either. any ideas?

could the cone be hitting something?, how big is teh box? only thing ican really think of is check amp gains or sub control on the HU.
nah, nothings touching the cones. i havent touched my setup in months and this just happened recently. i dunno, maybe the gains were tweaked when they swapped my 8445s in and out. well im getting a new deck tomorrow so i gotta reset them anyways. i hope all goes well.

its cause youre sub is excurging too much.....the popping you hear is you surround snapping from the cone flying out to far.....you subs about to **** on you.....it happens to a lot of kickers
uhhhh...no, its def not that. but i do agree that my subs are gonna take a **** if i dont fix this soon

This was an easy one. You even stated it does this when Maxed and on certain (bass heavy) songs. Just back off the volume a bit......nothing is indestructable.
no no. you misunderstood. it DOES happen on certain bass heavy songs. BUT the songs it does it on arent nearly my MOST bass heavy songs. i said it was a high bass song cause its more than most rock songs and some rap, ya know. but its by no means my heaviest bass song. and it only does it on a few of them...3 maybe 4 songs, tops, out of thousands. 1 being that bravehearts song, and another (i found today) being a DMX song with moderate bass at best. its not about the excursion....its something else. i would imagine it still has something to do with me overpowering them...or clip;ing the signal. and i will reset the gains when i get my new deck. but im worried that may not even help cause its happening so randomly.

I have the same problem. It also happens only in certain songs. I would also like to know any other opinions on the proble. I am going to lower the gain some more to see if that helps. I have my gain set at 50%.

my new cd5000 came in today. i dont have time to hook it up tonight, but ill do it tomorrow. i also got the ipc-106 eclipse to ipod interface and a 30g black ipod yesterday //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif. i cant wait to hook it all up tomorrow. ill reset my gains then. woohoo!

Does it also sometimes have a "snap" like sound? Or like a "crackle"?

If so, you probably have rice crispies in your box, clean that out.
****it! i knew i shouldnt have left that bowl of cereal so close to my ports that morning!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.