Pretty much decided on a RE SE sub...just need to know which one to get

Chowder Head
10+ year member

Tampa, FL
Hey guys. After some heavy research, I'm just about sold on the SE series. Now the question that I cannot for the life of my figure out is if I want to go with a ported 10", or a sealed 12".

Normally I'd lean towards porting it as I've heard it's not just for "heavy bass" but I hear the SE sound really good in a sealed enclosure. If the latter is true, then I should just a single 12". If not, then get a 10" and port it. So you can see why I'm confused, haha.

The amp in question I'm going to be using to power it is in my sig. I've heard a realistic rating of power it can pump out is around 515x1@2ohms. So since my sub is at 2ohms and I'm only getting one sub, I need the DVC 4 ohm kind....correct?

Anyway, which one would you all go with if you're looking for GOOD sounding and accurate bass? I'm not into window shaking, just looking a SQL sub that can accurately reproduce notes without sounding muddy. So given those parameters, what would you all suggest? A single 10" ported, or a single 12" sealed?

I plan on ordering the sub tonight as I have a paypal coupon that expires tonight...go figure. So the faster the reply the better!

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks fellas.

se's sound very nice in a sealed enclosure, but tbh they can sound awesome in a ported enclosure as well, depends on tuning. i currently have 2 12's in 4 cubes @ 32 hz, sounds **** good, and pounds the **** out of my truck (on a nine.1)

i've also had just 1 of my 12's in a sealed box, so i cannot reference the direct difference in volume, but SQ wise, both are extremely good.

good choice of sub REGARDLESS of what you decide to put it in, you honestly cant go wrong with an SE.

Well I measured my trunk area before and I thought I couldn't mange a ported 12". Now when I look at it, I might. Granted, I don't want to devote my entire trunk to the sub but I think it could be done. I dug up some measurements I took when I measured my trunk area and the max I could do is a length of 37 inches, a width of 10 inches, a depth of 13 inches which is right around 2.78cu ft if I did it right. And according to the RE SE site, the 'optimal enclosure' for a ported 12" is 2.0 cu.

So I'm guessing I should be good to go you think? I do like the option of sealing it if I wanted to and porting it if I want it louder. Granted, if I have the room to port it, I'll probably port it in the first place.

So I think I decided on the 12". I just have one last question. What do you all think about this pre-made box?

http://cgi.ebay.com/12-RE-AUDIO-SE-ENCLOSURE-RESONANT-ENGINEERING-SE12-BOX_W0QQitemZ400007200555QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar_Subwoofers_Enclosures?hash=item400007200555&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A570|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

I know that a generic box isn't the way to go but this box is made specifically for a ported 12". What do you all think about it? Both in terms of price, quality, materials used, and so forth?

Thanks again everyone for the quick replies! Pretty soon my first ever audio setup will finally be completed! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Oh, and I'm not a pro, but I dont think I would ever buy a prefab ported box, if anything sealed.

I would vote no, do not get the prefab unless its sealed, then I would maybe consider it. You can have people on here build you a better one for cheaper though, some people just ask that you pay supplies and shipping.

Boom, SE12" ordered. Final price was $138.60, not too bad.

So it looks like I'll just have someone build it locally. Does anyone know a ballpark figure I should be looking to pay for a ported box, given the parameters of this particular sub?

Thanks again everyone for the great help!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.