Radio Install in a 04 Saab 9-3

Participant count
  • Participant list
I own a 2003 Saab 9-3 and let me start out by saying the stereo system is a royal pain in the ass, you can not replace the head unit per-say. The way the car is built there is a fiber-optic loop in the car and if one component is broken then the car wont start. If you take out the head unit the car wont start. The only way the us saab folks can do this is to either mount a head unit somewhere either near the cd changer/slot where there is a blank plate or mount it in the glove box with a remote. One other way is to push the existing head unit back and install new one in front of the old one. The last option that has been giving some people issues is to use a JL clean sweep or something similar. Hope i didnt confuse you. Oh and there are two tabs in the ac vents that you need to depress to take the dash appart. http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7405 for some reading about the hatred for the mostnet system.

I own a 2006 and the car was a mess to try to put a system in. The MostNet (fiber optic) causes a ton of headaches and either results in a lot of work or a big bill. I decided to for-go putting a new headunit in, i really wanted a Pioneer Z2, because i didn't want to run a parallel system do to the money neccesary to do it. But i did replace the front 6 1/2 with Alpine Comps added a JLw1 sub and went with an Alpine MRP-F550 amp to power it. Right now i'm just using ine out converters to gain a single from the factory amps but once the holiday OT really kicks in i'm going to add a JL clean sweep to clean up the single and replace the factory 4" rears with 6x9's.

For how great of a car the 9-3 is the system really does ****. I hadn't paid any attention to car audio for about 5 years but when i got my Saab i needed to upgrade. I'm interested to see what else any Saab owners have done.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.