Rockford prime amps

sqhertz
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
Miami ,Fl
It's been a while.... I'm looking to put together something small on a budget. I keep coming to the Rockford prime Amps and was curious about their quality. Can anyone comment on these? Also open to suggestions for a 300-500wrms amp for around $125.

It's been a while.... I'm looking to put together something small on a budget. I keep coming to the Rockford prime Amps and was curious about their quality. Can anyone comment on these? Also open to suggestions for a 300-500wrms amp for around $125.
Most people here will hate on them, but I've had great luck out of my little 1,200W Prime amp.

They aren't a bad amp for an entry level system, especially if you're just getting into the hobby. Quality wise they aren't bad but you are getting what you pay for. Obviously, more expensive amps have better quality. Good luck

They're over priced though for what they are imo. The Power series is also wwaaayyyy over hyped and way too stupid expensive.
They are high but so is JL and some others. The power series to to rich for my blood but a constant power amp isn't going to be cheap.

It's not really constant power. It does a bit more power at 1 ohm than 2ohm. A lot like running a 1ohm amp at .7ohm. Power goes up a bit but efficency tanks.

Where as JL RIPS maintains power down to 11.5v and 1.5-4ohm.

Ive owned quality equipment in the past but havnt had anything in a couple years. I'm planning on running a single e8 and was between that or a kicker zx300.1 for $100

RF's utility doesn't lie in its power at lower ohm loads. Show me another 2500W amp that only loses ~40% of power output when impedance rises to 4 ohms from 1ohm? I'm not saying BDCPs are worth it to most people, but I don't believe comparing them to an amp ran at 1 and .7 respectfully is a fair comparison.

As far as prime I only played with one and it was ok. There's definitely more value to be had elsewhere as imo there's nothing special about the prime line, but they are solid little amps.

RF's utility doesn't lie in its power at lower ohm loads. Show me another 2500W amp that only loses ~40% of power output when impedance rises to 4 ohms from 1ohm? I'm not saying BDCPs are worth it to most people, but I don't believe comparing them to an amp ran at 1 and .7 respectfully is a fair comparison.

As far as prime I only played with one and it was ok. There's definitely more value to be had elsewhere as imo there's nothing special about the prime line, but they are solid little amps.
Why not compare them?

They gain a few hindered watts depending on amp and lose 10% more efficency. Sounds a lot like dropping to .7 to me

No idea. No telling what the RF does either when it's not a 10% THD dynamic birth sheet.
If you happen to know of someone with an amp dyno local to me I'll drop it off to be tested. No birth sheet claims here just straight ratings from their website. :) I'm curious have you ever used a CP amp?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.