Running an amp without back cover..

Full Tilt
10+ year member

Bonafide MAFer
Iowa
Hey, everybody. My build's in progress, and right now I'm building an amp rack in shop class. I'm making the rack with a few holes lined up with the heatsinks, but I just got to thinking how easy it'd be to totally remove the back for optimal heat dissipation. I couldn't really think of anything that could happen, but I guess I'm just not 100% sure. Do you guys run amps without the back covers, or is it just a bad idea?

Won't hurt anything as long as nothing gets inside it.
That's kinda what I was thinking. I mean, it'll be face-up on a rack, so I didn't really think anything could happen there. My trunk doesn't get water in it, but the back cover wouldn't protect it from that anyway. It's a pretty nice amp, though, so I wanted to be sure.

Hey, everybody. My build's in progress, and right now I'm building an amp rack in shop class. I'm making the rack with a few holes lined up with the heatsinks, but I just got to thinking how easy it'd be to totally remove the back for optimal heat dissipation. I couldn't really think of anything that could happen, but I guess I'm just not 100% sure. Do you guys run amps without the back covers, or is it just a bad idea?
I would say it's a bad idea. Too many things that cover is good at helping keep out like moisture and dust. If you have access to some plexi, I'd say drill some vents in that and make a plexi cover, but the original cover is made for optimal heat dissipation anyway. Best to keep it on there.

I'm not sure how much better heat dissipation will be. The cover is basically a 'dust' cover so to speak. It doesn't move heat. Make sure nothing foreign gets in there, like say a stray strand of copper? Lol that'd be bad news.

I would say it's a bad idea. Too many things that cover is good at helping keep out like moisture and dust. If you have access to some plexi, I'd say drill some vents in that and make a plexi cover, but the original cover is made for optimal heat dissipation anyway. Best to keep it on there.
You know a lot more about these things than I do, so I guess I'll listen to ya'. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

It's not a good idea for the most part. There is little on that board that you really need to cool. Any components that really get hot are mounted to the heatsink (the case), which disippates the heat. Shoot, my Zed Leviathan has no slots at all cut in it, there's no airflow at all. It gets warm, as any electrical component will, but never hot. If you're worried about cooling, the heatsink is what you have to cool. There's too much risk of something getting in there and shorting something out IMO.

It's not a good idea for the most part. There is little on that board that you really need to cool. Any components that really get hot are mounting to the heatsink (the case), which disippates the heat. Shoot, my Zed Leviathan has no slots at all cut in it, there's no airflow at all. It gets warm, as any electrical component will, but never hot. If you're worried about cooling, the heatsink is what you have to cool. There's too much risk of something getting in there and shorting something out IMO.
Well, yeah, and that's cool and all...but what do you know about amps, anyway?

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I'd advise against it. I once worked on 4 SAZ-4500D's installed without the bottom covers, from a well known install that all had something get inside the amps in the car that was conductive and rattled around inside, when it landed across the high voltage (300-400VDC) in the output section it popped the amps.

Also it allows more dust to get in there, if you live somewhere that is a humid climate, once you get the dust in there, then the dust soaks up moisture on a rainy day or foggy morning, next thing you know, you've got a lot of conductive stuff all over your amps circuit board and eventually it will arc in the high voltage and mess it up. Also the various things that make up the "dust" once mixed with water, become corrosive, and slowly corrode any exposed metal or copper on the circuit board/in the amp. Bad Idea. Cover is good, leave it. That's my suggestion.

I'd advise against it. I once worked on 4 SAZ-4500D's installed without the bottom covers, from a well known install that all had something get inside the amps in the car that was conductive and rattled around inside, when it landed across the high voltage (300-400VDC) in the output section it popped the amps.
Also it allows more dust to get in there, if you live somewhere that is a humid climate, once you get the dust in there, then the dust soaks up moisture on a rainy day or foggy morning, next thing you know, you've got a lot of conductive stuff all over your amps circuit board and eventually it will arc in the high voltage and mess it up. Also the various things that make up the "dust" once mixed with water, become corrosive, and slowly corrode any exposed metal or copper on the circuit board/in the amp. Bad Idea. Cover is good, leave it. That's my suggestion.
I believe this "well known install" may be local to me //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

heat rises... bottom cover does nothing for heat dissipation when mounted right side up. Leave it on to prevent internal shorts

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.