Single 12 for a sealed enclosure.

Participant count
  • Participant list

Kenny71121
10+ year member

The main goal is SQ over a wide range of music(literally about everything) but louder is better as long as it stays clean. Amp will be a Profile AP1000M which is rated 500 RMS @ 2 Ohms or 310 RMS @ 4 Ohms. Yes I know there are much better amps out there but not for what I paid for this one, haha. I would like to be around $200 or under for just the sub. I have been looking at a few subs that I have seen recommended while browsing forums such as the Sundown SA-12, Dayton Reference series, TC sounds Epic(would maybe be underpowering it though?), DC audio Level 2, and SSA GCON (again maybe not enough power?) I live in the middle of nowhere and don't have the opportunity to hear any of these subs so any opinions appreciated. Not limited to these either. Thanks in advance.

Sealed has nothing to do with sound quality. The only way I'd run sealed is if it was a space issue or the specific sub woofer asked for it. Also that AP amp you're going to run doesn't exactly scream SQ either. All that being said, I'd get start with something simple if I was you. Maybe an SSA Dcon. In a well designed, smallish ported enclosure you'd get good SQ and output of it. Maybe look in the classifieds on here as well. There's a lot of used equipment for sale that would fit your needs.

If you don't mind me making a suggestion, I highly suggest you build a properly designed ported box. In my experience with sealed, it doesn't quite hit the low end the way I would like it.

Also, are you open to buying used or only new?

Sealed has nothing to do with sound quality. The only way I'd run sealed is if it was a space issue or the specific sub woofer asked for it. Also that AP amp you're going to run doesn't exactly scream SQ either. All that being said, I'd get start with something simple if I was you. Maybe an SSA Dcon. In a well designed, smallish ported enclosure you'd get good SQ and output of it. Maybe look in the classifieds on here as well. There's a lot of used equipment for sale that would fit your needs.
yeah exactly like he said, if you're looking for true SQ, that amp isn't going to do it. If you want REALLY good and technical SQ info I would highly suggest checking out the DIYMA forums, most people here aren't too educated with the SQ side of things.

I am not looking to compete or anything guys, just want something that sounds good for a daily driver. Upgrading my amp down the road is an option as well. Sooner than later if I do not like the way it sounds. As for my decision to go with a single sub and a sealed enclosure, that was to conserve trunk space, not because I thought it would deliver better SQ. I suppose I could go with a small ported box if need be. Also I am looking to buy new, I have been burnt buying used equipment before.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.