SOLO X motors worthy of customs

burzendowski
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
CA.COM
Hey so i have 2 solo X 12" motors, these are the 3" coil motors.

I was wondering if anyone has any information on the motors, such as how strong they are, quality of the design etc.

I want to build some customs from these motors but am unsure if they are worth rebuilding into 2 18's.

Any information is appreciated

MG]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/burzendowski/36f08a51.jpg[/img]

e721447a.jpg

d19c711b.jpg

8cb76315.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
they will make for some very very nice customs. PSI did one with a SS XxX basket on the motor and it came out with da seqs bro.
you and and kicker are almost as bad as brad and audiopipe.

nut huggers.

nut huggers.
tell you the same thing i told mike. i hug the solo x. not kicker. o an kx amps as well. please o please tell me where i hugged kicker and it wasnt the OPs fault???

---------- Post added at 10:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 AM ----------

nut huggers.
worst part is that i answered the OPs question ABOUT A KICKER PRODUCT. and i am still called a hugger. da fuqq

tell you the same thing i told mike. i hug the solo x. not kicker. o an kx amps as well. please o please tell me where i hugged kicker and it wasnt the OPs fault??? 

---------- Post added at 10:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 AM ----------

worst part is that i answered the OPs question ABOUT A KICKER PRODUCT. and i am still called a hugger. da fuqq
Just admit that you're a hugger and this will all go away.

could you give me a measurment of the pole od and top plate id so i have a idea of the gap?

the solox 18" is FAR from having the strongest motor out there...

could you give me a measurment of the pole od and top plate id so i have a idea of the gap?
the solox 18" is FAR from having the strongest motor out there...
Question for you, at what point does increasing the thickness and diameter of the magnet come to a point of diminishing returns? I realize you can only really make generalizations, but a ballpark and a little technical explanation would be awesome.

Which makes little sense considering better can be had for half the price. Just sayin'.

...but yeah OP, motors are pretty nice. I'm sure you could build some nice frankenwoofers out of 'em.

---------- Post added at 11:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 AM ----------

You should actually be familiar if not use more subwoofers in you life before making such a statement.
Spider Monkey must have told him that.

Question for you, at what point does increasing the thickness and diameter of the magnet come to a point of diminishing returns? I realize you can only really make generalizations, but a ballpark and a little technical explanation would be awesome.
With a standard ferrite woofer, the magnets are providing the magnetism to the top plate. The top plate can only be saturated with so much flux. So the real answer is "when the top plate is fully saturated, adding more magnets is of no or little advantage". The challenge after that is to alleviate stray flux from the gap so that as much motor strength as possible is not wasted.

With a standard ferrite woofer, the magnets are providing the magnetism to the top plate. The top plate can only be saturated with so much flux. So the real answer is "when the top plate is fully saturated, adding more magnets is of no or little advantage". The challenge after that is to alleviate stray flux from the gap so that as much motor strength as possible is not wasted.
I see, and I assume the larger the top plate, the more you can saturate it?

Does the bottom plate play any role on motor force?

I see, and I assume the larger the top plate, the more you can saturate it?
Does the bottom plate play any role on motor force?
The bottom plate is also the pole piece. Of course this plays a role. The larger the top plate the more it can be saturated but the coil is only so large. So depending on the motor style used, it may actually hurt.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.