sony single din, line driver for sub amp?

2010HHRUMADBRUH
10+ year member

Gold Diamond Plus VIP+ Member
Got this sony single din. 2v pre outs.

Here is my current set up:

Stock head unit

cache cloc'd line driver/line output converter set to about 4v with each output on a splitter so i can wire up the sub amp and the tweeter amp

(I assume each amp would still get 4v this way?)

Stock mids in the front doors on the head unit (so my dad can have the stock experience when he drives my car)

saz 1500d v1 for sub, optimus crossover at 4k for vifa tweeters, sony xm 6020 for the tweeters, set to minimum gain (says 2v on the minimum setting, but apparently can take 4v?)

My thought is to put the sony head unit in, use the standard 2v preouts for doors and tweeters, then boost the voltage for the sub amp to about 6-8v (if it can take it)

I will probably use the crossover and amp to also power the door 6.5"s as well, so they are a bit louder. (I also plan to upgrade them in the future)

head unit in question is a SONY CDX-MP70, got it free, and has a remote, which is always nice to have.

It has the RCA inputs which I can convert to 3.5mm, and that's all I need for my ipod.

You don't need a line driver unless the amplifier can't gain match the head unit's pre-outs.
This is true. But you'll clip the hell out of your equipment with such low pre outs.. Won't be able to turn the gain up at all

It won't be beneficial to boost the rca voltage to the sub amp?
It's always beneficial, till about 5v, after that it won't be much difference. Hardly noticed a difference in loudness from my 80prs(5v pre outs) to my RF 360.3 (8v pre outs) although it did sound cleaner.

Id do it. You can keep your gains down with the line driver
Exactly.. Amp doesn't have to try as hard.. Better voltage, less clipping, longevity on amp and sub increases.. Just a win win, as long as your conservative with the line driver they are very beneficial. I've experienced it first hand with a 2v pre out head unit. Metered a 151 @ 35 then put the line driver in and boosted to 6v pre outs, 54 @ 36.. 3 DB for a $70 line driver? Yes please

Yeah in my opinion everything will run smoother with the line driver.
Tis true.

Please explain your reasons for doing this in this situation.
^^^^^

This is true. But you'll clip the hell out of your equipment with such low pre outs.. Won't be able to turn the gain up at all
Wrong.

It's always beneficial, till about 5v, after that it won't be much difference. Hardly noticed a difference in loudness from my 80prs(5v pre outs) to my RF 360.3 (8v pre outs) although it did sound cleaner.
It's not the higher preouts that made it sound cleaner.

Exactly.. Amp doesn't have to try as hard.. Better voltage, less clipping, longevity on amp and sub increases.. Just a win win, as long as your conservative with the line driver they are very beneficial.
Total bullshit.

I've experienced it first hand with a 2v pre out head unit. Metered a 151 @ 35 then put the line driver in and boosted to 6v pre outs, 54 @ 36.. 3 DB for a $70 line driver? Yes please
Then the amp wasn't set up properly the first time.

The subject of preout voltage has been covered here a thousand times. I suggest you read some of them.

Got this sony single din. 2v pre outs.
Here is my current set up:

Stock head unit

cache cloc'd line driver/line output converter set to about 4v with each output on a splitter so i can wire up the sub amp and the tweeter amp

(I assume each amp would still get 4v this way?)

Stock mids in the front doors on the head unit (so my dad can have the stock experience when he drives my car)

saz 1500d v1 for sub, optimus crossover at 4k for vifa tweeters, sony xm 6020 for the tweeters, set to minimum gain (says 2v on the minimum setting, but apparently can take 4v?)

My thought is to put the sony head unit in, use the standard 2v preouts for doors and tweeters, then boost the voltage for the sub amp to about 6-8v (if it can take it)

I will probably use the crossover and amp to also power the door 6.5"s as well, so they are a bit louder. (I also plan to upgrade them in the future)

head unit in question is a SONY CDX-MP70, got it free, and has a remote, which is always nice to have.

It has the RCA inputs which I can convert to 3.5mm, and that's all I need for my ipod.
I'm all confused!!.. one point you said run the mids off the head unit,then off an amp...wtf?!?!

Taking 4 volts and splitting it won't get you 4 volts on the 2 ends...you'll be back at 2.

if you must use it,go with the sub,I guess.It would benefit the mids /highs more,but the way your trying to run everything is um.....

Yep, it's definitely a balancing act. Too little input voltage and you won't drive the amplifier to full output, but you will have a ton of noise (noise floor) and distortion form cranking the gain up while trying. Too much input voltage and your volume 'knob' will be too sensitive (gets too loud too quickly) and you may also overdrive the amplifier inputs. Both situations can suffer from clipping, whether you're clipping your head's outputs trying to get all the voltage it can muster, or if your high voltage line driver is clipping the preamp stage on your amplfier from being overdriven. Amplifying either of those is less than ideal.

In the end, the goal is to leave the gain alone if at all possible (and it is) or to adjust it as little as possible. I mean, unless you really like the sound of hiss and/or distorted anemic bass, strident midrange, etc...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.