sound deadener alternatives

juddspaintballs
10+ year member

find em hot leave em wet
As many of you know, the cheapo people like me that want to sound deaden generally double layer Peel & Seal and call it quits. Well as I was buying 4 rolls of it today at Lowes I couldn't help but wonder if the asphalt based liquid flashing sealers would work in the same way that a higher end liquid sound deadener would. The stuff is asphalt based, dries in 24 hours but remains flexible, and it remains in thicknesses of at least 1/8". To me that sounds alot like a sound deadener. Would it work as a sound deadener? Would it smell all the time? Peel and Seal quits smelling completely after a couple of weeks in my experience, but what about these "liquid" asphalt flashing sealers. Would they also quit smelling eventually?

annnnd...rhino lining. Would that work as a sound deadening material as well? i could paint my floor in that if the liquid asphalt flashing sealer wont work. The liquid asphalt flashing sealer is about $6-$8 per gallon, which covers 12sq. ft. but they also sell 5 gallon buckets of the stuff.

and help appreciated for the cheapo guys like me. I'm on a very tight budget, not working since I'm at school, and trying to buy some dumb $4000 ring for a girl in the near future. In this case girl does come before car

same thing man....i wish i knew what stuff u were talking about. I've looked in Lowes and stuff 2 for deadner. I jsut bought 2 cans of Asphalt Spray at Autozone, thinking about sparying on inside of doors. The only things is....would it smell?

I jsut dont see spending $200.00 on deadner...Really...I should i know, and there is no better way, but hell. Do I really need 500 degree heat tolerant deadner if I'm coating my doors? Correct me if I'm wrong but I dont think so. Its a marketing gimmick.

if i wasn't so tight for money i would have bought a gallon, put some in my rear cargo area of my jimmy with the carpet rolled back and tried it out for a couple weeks. if I hated it, then I could scrape it up and know now to use it. hope someone is able to help us, i'd be able to deaden my floor alot easier and cheaper if this stuff won't stink after a while

anything that deadens any surface from vibration or resonation, is a sound deadaner, i mean heck if you ate a million sticks of gum you could use gum as sound deadaner. it is just some work better than others. I got some roof tar and used carpet and used thre two together and it worked great. cost me about 14 bucks to deaden a entire car. But it didnt work near as good as professional stuff .,It didnt look nearly as good but hey it did yhe job. It was at a point where i was ghetto fab, broke and loved tinkering.

I always wondered why my stereo sounded so much better with my ex in the car
You might wanna keep that to yourself. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/yumyum.gif.0556df42231b304b9c995aefd13928a8.gif

same thing man....i wish i knew what stuff u were talking about. I've looked in Lowes and stuff 2 for deadner. I jsut bought 2 cans of Asphalt Spray at Autozone, thinking about sparying on inside of doors. The only things is....would it smell?
I can't speak for the asphalt stuff, but the rubber canned stuff that runs ~$3 / can at NAPA doesn't smell after it dries.

peel and seal works fine, but i dont suggest putting it on the TRUNK LID. when it got hot in the summer, mine kept coming off of the trunk lid. I had to use straight up dynamt for the lid. but im going with the SECOND SKIN with my new car. receive 2 gallons in the mail on friday or monday hopefully.

i think the spray on ashpalt will continue to smell when it gets hot... that stuff is SMELLY!!! It's basically a can of the **** they patch cracks in the road with....

For $2 extra, you can get the butyl stuff at autozone, or there's the 'pro' version that's 7.99.

i don't know what the hell the diff is between the 5.99 cans and the 7.99 'pro' crap, tho, they both spray on really thin........

i sprayed mine from pretty far away, tho, i think you're supposed to spray it only like 6 inches from the surface.

check out homedepot.com and search for Thermwell 12 In. X 15 Ft. X 1/8 In. Self-Adhesive Foil/Foam Duct Insulation
very nice. $15 per roll, it would only take 2 to do my 4 door jimmy floor. little more expensive than peel n seal, but thicker and alot easier to install. i may just take back my peel n seal tonight and get that stuff.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.