soundstream x3 12????

ok so my friend manny is on team soundstream and had this 12 on a x3 4000 rms amp.
the first 2 spiders popped off the basket, and if youve ever seen these they have a plastic ring holding them down, well that popped up also. so i bought it from him for an undisclosed price lol...

io contacted SS yesterday and they said i have to pay 140 shipped for a recone. i dont think i should have to pay full price since the coils still good and its there fault the spiders werent secure.

any input? also i looked on SS site and it says high tuning is 54 hz. does that mean i have to tune there? i really like my lows so i was thinking of somehow cutting the first 2 out of 3 spiders off the coil and running it with 1 spider... any input on that?
This is a trial and error issue. Those subs are new releases and havent been test through competitiors or daily bass junkies. So, that being said, I went thru 4 boxes trying to make them right and I even built a box according to specs and a design from RAM-Designs. The big issue is the 4 inch coil in a 12 inch sub. after surround and everything, you have less cone to work with and transffer all that power. which is why they had to streghten the cones after the first wave of these failed. Now, I have found that two of these subs are best in a 3.5 cubed box tuned to 43hz. the box cant be too deep. mine is 21d 14.5 h 34.5w. with a 5 inch port at 14 L anyways. I talk to manny often. So I know his story.

I run these in comps. I hit a 145 at the headrest. and thats all I can do right now. Therse subs have to be baby'd I got lots of mechanical noise when I roll a burp with 3400rms around the peak output. other than that I havent heard a peep of noise from the Version 3 subs. . I imagine if you just dump all that power on them in a box that hasnt been tested and tweek for best results and go full tilt, you certainly could knock those screws out and loose the suspension. I havent tried it. I usually roll the burps.

My suggestion to you would be to find a few longer bolts and add washer, lock washer and a nylon bushing nut. Dont use epoxy or anything like that because it would ruin the hold down ring. and I dont think those come in the recone kits.

As for coil, these things are rated for 10Kw. so I doubt the coil is shot unless it was clipped to death.

I imagine if I went all out and had a One Note Wonder for a goal in mind, I would do very well with these subs, but I havent made that choice yet. I still love my low bass sex. As Epic0318 said, it gets down.

I know Audioque won't refund you or fix your sub if there is a spider failure.
That's because it's poorly made Chinese junk, much like power accoustic/soundstream. That sort of failure is unacceptable under any conditions and is a sign of poor manufacturing, sub-standard glue, or just plain no quality control (or some combination of these).

You can probably glue down that spacer ring with some CA glue, but unles you pop the dustcap and center the coil odds are it won't function properly after you're done.

I would reccomend against cutting out spiders. I can't see that helping anything for you.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.