speaker advice

Tiiimay
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I'm looking to replace my speakers now that I've got the money, but i want to get some nice stuff to go with my alpine type x. they've got to go fairly loud, I'm thinking around 80-100wRms. I need 6.75 and 4x6. alpine doesn't have much for either, but i was looking at Infinity and Pioneer. are those solid brands? any others i should consider? I'm looking to drop around 100-150 a pair.

my $.02, just get 6.5"s with adapter plates. the choices of 6.5" speakers is practically limitless, you can get exactly what you want, and you are never going to know that they are .25" smaller than your current speakers.

also, lose the 4x6"s in the rear. rear fill is useless, a waste, and a drain on the rest of your system (as well as a SQ killer). you are better off taking those out for good, and investing that money up front where the sound matters //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

actually i drive a chevy s10 so the 4x6 are for the dash. no rear fill anyways. i was unaware i could get adapter plates that sounds like a great idea. i want to get the alpine type r 6.5's so that would be awesome. should i get speakers with adapters up front to and have a 6.5 up there?

If you are talking about 6.5" in the doors, I would do those only and skip the dash... it's a poor place for speakers, 4X6" are usually inefficient, and there are not many good choices anyway. A good 6.5" component set installed well in the doors with an amp will fill the truck with sound.

Pioneer rev and infinity kappa are good for the money since you mention those brands. best I see in your price range right now might be orion HCCA 6.2, as low as $129 ikesound.com/ikesound ebay.

I would also do a 4-channel amp and small wedges behind the seat, if they will fit, or console sub, or other.. search s-10 subwoofer enclosure to see what others are doing/what is available.

oh ive got the sub covered im running 1000w of alpine's finest already. i think i'll just do the doors like you said, they're all i really hear anyways.

i drive a 2003 s-10 and 6.5's will drop right in without adapter plates. i put in components and put the tweeter in the dash where the 4x6's used to be.

I just got my Infinity Kappas installed... 4x6s in front and 6x9s in back. Thought I needed 5.25s on the front doors so I'm still waiting for the other 4x6s, but they sound quite excellent. Someone said they could sound harsh at loud volumes but still not a bad speaker but this is anything but true.

The smaller ones aren't quite that loud though, but if you can make do with 60 watts rms, go ebay yourself some -- I promise you won't do any better for the money!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.