SQ improvement equipment

Participant count
  • Participant list

PrinceCharming
10+ year member

PrinceCharming
I need suggestions as to some equipment that I can get to improve the sound of my system. I have 2 Memphis Power Reference subs in a sealed ProBox, and I'm getting a JBL C608GTI MKII comp set powered by some kind of 2-channel amp, and 4 tweeters powered by a PPI 900.4. I'm running everything but the subs passive. Just need help finding some equipment to make it all sound better.

sounding great is not as much equipment as it's install and placement. consider spending 4-8 hours per speaker for install effort (and the resulting cost of materials to properly treat each speaker enclosure).

recognize you are designing speaker enclosures for SQ. you aren't just screwing a new speaker in. you are controlling the back-wave and preventing it from combining with the front with deadener, fiberglass/resin, wood, etc.

you only need 2 tweeters for SQ - one left and one right - each located where you want the soundstage boundaries to be.

sounding great is not as much equipment as it's install and placement. consider spending 4-8 hours per speaker for install effort (and the resulting cost of materials to properly treat each speaker enclosure).
recognize you are designing speaker enclosures for SQ. you aren't just screwing a new speaker in. you are controlling the back-wave and preventing it from combining with the front with deadener, fiberglass/resin, wood, etc.

you only need 2 tweeters for SQ - one left and one right - each located where you want the soundstage boundaries to be.
again i think you lost him, lol, newbs dont know any better but they need to use the search function

if they would look at your install just briefly they would change from sq install to just loud install by just seeing the amount of work you have into your system or that tc system

Actually I already have that planned out. I'm getting some serious sound deadening material or else I'm gonna rattle my door panel of with these, I'm gonna either buy or make a baffle and I've got to get a speaker adapter plate or make one because this is going into a 4x6 hole, or else I will have to do some customization on my door frame. And I should have specified a little better, I'm looking for that really loud blow your ears away surround feel but I want the sound quality coming out of all my drivers, speakers, tweeters, and subs to be as good as possible. I don't mind all the work and I may be a newb but I think I've got it planned out a little better than most. Just asking for some advice thanks

Concentrate on your front speaker install, that's where the biggest improvements can be made. 6.5" components correctly mounted, sealed and deadened with a good amp can give you most of what you're looking for.

Yeah that what I plan to do I was asking about any kind of sound enhancing or smoothing equipment that I can use to improve the sound quality. Like something to rid of distortion.

Yeah that what I plan to do I was asking about any kind of sound enhancing or smoothing equipment that I can use to improve the sound quality. Like something to rid of distortion.
Sound deadening material and possibly a eq/line driver for minor adjustments and full amplifier potential. When tuned and gain matched, there should be no added distortion.

Best sound enhancing and smoothing equipment is your hands and the work they do to isolate the rear wave and control reflections with speaker aiming. *An EQ is attempting to fix install problems and phase interference. *Some tonal shaping is nice, but flexible active crossovers and time alignment is more important than an EQ. *There are several active processors available, what one is best depends on how you want it to integrate with the head unit.

Distortion is inherent in amplifiers and speakers, after any processors. *Best way to minimize distortion is to properly set amp gains and know the limits of the system.

Processors cost money, hundreds of dollars. That money is better spent on deadening and install. I like to use Raammaudio BXT II deadener and US Composites resin.

What head unit are you working with? The vehicle makes a difference also, what space do you have up front?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.