Stretching Vinyl Material

Pr1AWRet

I made some custom A pillars for my car. I have the material and spray adhesive. Is there a video or?? that shows how vinyl material is formed/stretched over something like this?

046.jpg

044.jpg

041.jpg

i would not use spray adhesive.

you can set the vinly out in the sun and get nice an warm then it is much easier to stretch, a heat gun can help also but be careful you dont burn it.

I have been looking for a good material for a while. I would like to know what people use to avoid wrinkles and lifted areas. The only material ive been able to find has NO give and wrinkles at any sign of curvature.

My first thought would be. can you smooth the curves a little more? It will make your life easier in the end. Use a good high temp contact adhesive. I use dap hhr on large jobs or this Performance Hi-Temp Trim Spray Adhesive on smaller jobs such as yours. Use a hair dryer to soften up the vinyl without melting holes in it. I go about things wierd, but I would start right on top of your tweeter baffle, then work your way around it stretching out the wrinkles as you go. I **** at upholstery, and even I can wrap pillars lol. It's actually a pretty good part to learn with. Most importantly though, take your time.

I'll post a couple pics to show you what I mean by smoothing the curves. Notice the tweeters seem to flow into the rest of the panel and not stick out like a ****** or something. Makes wrapping a lot easier that way //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

0708091508.jpg

0708091510.jpg

Steamer will help a lot if you need it to go more then just a hair dryer will let you. I use a heat gun but my snapon heatgun has a full range of temp i can dial in. A steamer will help keep it from cracking by keeping it moist. let it dry well then glue it down after you have molded it into shape.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.