Sub Placement

JCH

Wyoming
Hey quick question for you guys. So i finally got a sub setup ordered for my 01 Tacoma extended cab. Its going to go on a back seat but which side is better to put it on for sound? Driver or passenger? Thanks in advance.

are you doing ported or sealed?

if ported i would do sub up, port facing the drivers side wall. so put the sub on the far top side of the box, then put the port on side of the box on the drivers side. should do well

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 PM ----------

also for a ported should i face it towards the front or back in the trunk?
sub facing up, port firing to the drivers side

are you doing ported or sealed?
if ported i would do sub up, port facing the drivers side wall. so put the sub on the far top side of the box, then put the port on side of the box on the drivers side. should do well

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 PM ----------

sub facing up, port firing to the drivers side
Im doing ported, already have the box though, it has the sub and port both forward

I have a 99 Dodge 1500 extended cab and I've always had the best sound quality and sound pressure for a single woofer with the woofer forward, port upward and the box all the way to the right. e.g., port firing up in the passenger's side rear corner of the cab.

In a cabinet that had the woofer and the port on the same face, I would run the box in the same location but with both firing up. I've also had a number of fourth and sixth order bandpass enclosures in this truck and again, ports up always sounds better. I recently built a t-line for a JBL 10 and the terminus (port) and woofer are on the same face. That box is as wide as the back seat but not very tall at all and it performed better with the woofer and port up as well. And.. both at the right (passenger) side.

That's been my experience and I've owned this truck since it was born and, I've had too many boxes in it to count.

I have a 99 Dodge 1500 extended cab and I've always had the best sound quality and sound pressure for a single woofer with the woofer forward, port upward and the box all the way to the right. e.g., port firing up in the passenger's side rear corner of the cab.
In a cabinet that had the woofer and the port on the same face, I would run the box in the same location but with both firing up. I've also had a number of fourth and sixth order bandpass enclosures in this truck and again, ports up always sounds better. I recently built a t-line for a JBL 10 and the terminus (port) and woofer are on the same face. That box is as wide as the back seat but not very tall at all and it performed better with the woofer and port up as well. And.. both at the right (passenger) side.

That's been my experience and I've owned this truck since it was born and, I've had too many boxes in it to count.
ever tried sub up, port to driver side? had a friend pulling 152dbs on music at the headrest with a 2 12s with his box that way. we have a girl on our team doing 148s with 2 12s on music at the headrest and burping 150s. she has her box that way as well

ever tried sub up, port to driver side? had a friend pulling 152dbs on music at the headrest with a 2 12s with his box that way. we have a girl on our team doing 148s with 2 12s on music at the headrest and burping 150s. she has her box that way as well

Yeah I have. Matter of fact, I just got done building a box for an RE SRX 15 I picked up and it has the port and woofer on different sides. I've had that one on both sides of the back seat and with the port facing up at the roof on the right side with the woofer forward and with the port to the left window with the woofer forward. I've also had it woofer up port to front and woofer forward port to the left side with the box in the middle.

Now... with all that said, I've not metered it in any position so I can't say what is actually louder on a meter. I'm just saying that the bass sounds better (and louder) in the configuration I mentioned. Also, with the woofer box to the right, woofer forward and port up, the bass is better for me (the driver) than it is for the passenger. Likewise, if you flip the arrangement, the bass will be better in the passenger's seat.

If I were going to meter it, it probably would be better for the port to be facing the side window or door panel since there is more reflection there than on the cloth headliner.

One other thing I've noticed as well, I get more flex of the cab when I have the sub in that arrangement. And again, it's been that way with every box I've had in the truck that was small enough to move around and try different locations with.

And yeah, I can imagine sound pressure is better at the headrest with the port right behind it. But sound pressure doesn't = sound quality and I'm talking more from the latter perspective.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.