Subs making low thumping noise.....

937DYTBOI
5,000+ posts

TL>you
Dayton,Ohio
Well this morning i was coming home from a meeting at work this morning and had my radio cranked a quarter of the way up with the subwoofer gain knob just barelly on and then i hear my subs quit plaing, i pulled over the investigate the problem and just heard a low thumping sound from the subs like every 3 sec. I dont know if its my amp or the subs or what the problem is. the amp wasnt even warm at all, all my wires were good, what else should i check?

its kinda weird because my subs are wired together and they are both doing it so i dont know what to expect really, im thinking its the amp possibly. The subs dont even smell burnt amp isnt hott, wires seem to be fine maybe i should check the fuses possibly? i dont kno

Grab a DMM or like a test light, disconnect the subs and see if the amplifier still "pulsates" on the outputs. If so, double check connections like the ground. If all the connections check out okay, then it sounds like your amplifier took a dump.

no i dont think the light goes off and on, but i will check the amp out somehow, hopefully it didnt take a crap on me this is the second one i had, if it is im going to get it worked on and sell it.

it sounds like a power issue. either a bad ground or a blown fuse on the constant line and the amps trying to power up from just the remote. But the again it could be inside the amps internal power supply

Ok now i got that figured out seems that i had a weak ground connection with my second battery seemed to solve the problem but now it seems as if the subs are making a scractching noise now but puts out bass but not as much as before. Im starting to think i need a recone on my subs now and its time to get rid of this horrid amp, it has gave me nuthin but headache. What could be my problem now am i guessing right?

man this crazy
Aren't subs supposed to make low thumping noises? J/k

If I were you I would deff. check the ground and make sure it is connected properly. How did you install your ground in the first place? Like someone said before me, if there isn't a blown fuse then the only thing I could possibly think of is your amp is busted.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crying.gif.ec0ebefe590df0251476573bc49e46d8.gif

Ok now i got that figured out seems that i had a weak ground connection with my second battery seemed to solve the problem but now it seems as if the subs are making a scractching noise now but puts out bass but not as much as before. Im starting to think i need a recone on my subs now and its time to get rid of this horrid amp, it has gave me nuthin but headache. What could be my problem now am i guessing right?

Gently push on the subs with your hand in the center of the cone. See if you hear/feel a scratching

Yea im starting to think its gone and finished my subs with it. now i need a recone and a new amp. What would be the next best thing to run next to the Orion 2500d to push my RE SX 12's. I was thinking about the zapco 1110.1 reference amp, RE 12.1 or a IA 20.1. Also these subs are in a ported box

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.