sundown sa12

if you have the power i go with a soundqubed hds312 there a lot louder then the sundown audio sa-12 and they cost less they just need more power to run. if you know anything about digital design the owner of soundqubed is brothers with the owner of digital design there sub's are built just about the same.

It's louder by far.
musically, the HD sounded a shit ton better.

but as far as SPL, the Ultra is way louder on less power

according to the ear-o-meter anyways

Same box? Can't figure out why the SA Ultra is that much louder, but sounds worse. The motor design is solid and sundowns softparts are generally good quality, I've never seen Jake design a speaker that sounds bad.

That all being said I've never heard an HD, but I've heard good things about how they sound, they just want big boxes.

Is it just real peaky near tuning or what?

Same box? Can't figure out why the SA Ultra is that much louder, but sounds worse. The motor design is solid and sundowns softparts are generally good quality, I've never seen Jake design a speaker that sounds bad. He is a SQ guy at heart and he tends to build his designs with SQ in mind, kinda like Murphy he doesn't make many burp woofers lol. Every SA I've ever heard sounded good, not amazing, but that is mostly install related from what I could tell. They can play low, they can play high so at that point it's just about getting the response right. SA ultas are similar with more xmax and less inductance, it should play lower, louder, with better SQ than a SA..
That all being said I've never heard an HD, but I've heard good things about how they sound, they just want big boxes.
no not the same box. I mean it doesn't sound BAD per say, it's a great sounding sub. Just isn't as accurate as the HD.

It could be the box it's in as I threw it in a box made for an HDD that's overly huge (2.5 tuned to 30)

it's gets hella loud and low that's for sure tho. I'll sit there and play a 25hz peak song for a good 10 minutes, go back and feel the dustcap, and the sub is cold as if it wasn't even playing. Im so impressed that I went and ordered a Zv4 12 with SPL cone/surround lol.

no not the same box. I mean it doesn't sound BAD per say, it's a great sounding sub. Just isn't as accurate as the HD.
It could be the box it's in as I threw it in a box made for an HDD that's overly huge (2.5 tuned to 30)

it's gets hella loud and low that's for sure tho. I'll sit there and play a 25hz peak song for a good 10 minutes, go back and feel the dustcap, and the sub is cold as if it wasn't even playing. Im so impressed that I went and ordered a Zv4 12 with SPL cone/surround lol.
Yeah my guess would be the box is too big. The ultra is 25% stronger motor than the SA and judging by box specs, even the SA has a stronger motor than the HD. That's part of the tradeoff when you use high quality parts including an expensive TI basket on lower line subs, the price has to drop somewhere so it's a fairly weak motor on the HD line. Not bad, just needs a big box. Anyways I have the room, I thinking more about 7-8 cubic feet tuned near 30hz for 4 of the SA ultras off a AA 3800.1 at .5 . For less than 500 in subwoofers I don't see how I can go wrong lol. Especially since your not having thermal issues with yours.

Yeah my guess would be the box is too big. The ultra is 25% stronger motor than the SA and judging by box specs, even the SA has a stronger motor than the HD. That's part of the tradeoff when you use high quality parts including an expensive TI basket on lower line subs, the price has to drop somewhere so it's a fairly weak motor on the HD line. Not bad, just needs a big box. Anyways I have the room, I thinking more about 7-8 cubic feet tuned near 30hz for 4 of the SA ultras off a AA 3800.1 at .5 . For less than 500 in subwoofers I don't see how I can go wrong lol. Especially since your not having thermal issues with yours.
yeah it's a tad bit peaky around 30hz. Like 32hz to be exact is just overly loud compared to the other notes.

and yeah man the SA Ultra's are no joke. They will BANG on that AA 3.8k

yeah it's a tad bit peaky around 30hz. Like 32hz to be exact is just overly loud compared to the other notes.
and yeah man the SA Ultra's are no joke. They will BANG on that AA 3.8k

That def sounds like a box size/port issue. z4's are similar from what I've heard. I'd shrink the box size for the z4, keep most of your port area. It's going to want the port area if only due to the extra powerhanding, but if you want more SQ out of it, shrink your box.. Try closer to 1.75-2 cubic feet with a similar amount of port area if you can do that without messing with your tuning too much. Make sure you let me know what you think of the oversized surrounds, you can always recone it and get the SPL surrounds later.

What's your reasoning for going with the spl cone on the zv4? Does it really have that much of a difference or are you just chasing tenths on the meter?

get a Yard Sale Sa Ultra
I just ordered one and for 1 12, it's ridiculous
I had a look on their website and nothing under Subwoofer listed as SA Ultra.

Can you please tell me where I can find out more about this?

What's your reasoning for going with the spl cone on the zv4? Does it really have that much of a difference or are you just chasing tenths on the meter?
They sound quite a bit different. The mega roll surround they normally use has no tightening effect that raises Q once teh woofer really gets moving. Technically it's distortion when that happens, but it exists on literally EVERY subwoofer that doesn't use the mega surround, which is 99.9999% of all subwoofers. It's also even order distortion that tends to be unnoticed, the main thing we hear is simply more top end bass when the surround tightens. Therefore, its a sound people are used to hearing, most people find the mega roll surround subs to sound very bottom heavy. Especially when they use ported boxes tuned low like most of us do. Unless your only real concern is 40hz and down or you really need to use a small box, it's better to get the SPL surrounds. It's going to sound more like a tradiational subwoofer, the mega rolls have a dry bottom heavy sound, some people say it sounds sloppy. I've never heard one, but most low distortion subs are an aquired taste

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.