Sundown ZV.4 12 worth $500? Fi, SoundQuebed, Shocker?

Participant count
  • Participant list

anger
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I'm not a big fan of the 'what _____ should I buy' threads, but I don't have much knowledge on the higher-end subs and want to get some input. I recently sold all my entry-level subs and am looking to purchase 1 solid 12.

Only got 1000w at the moment (RF T1000bd-cp), will hopefully double that later...after getting my electrical/wiring solid. And about 4 cubes, after displacement, to work with for ported enclosure.

Some of the drivers I've been looking at:

Sundown ZV.4

Fi BL

SQ HDC 3.0

Shocker Sig

All I know is that these have huge power handling capabilities compared to what I've owned in the past...and that's about it.

really diggin' the sundown, mostly cause it looks KNARLY, was like luv at first sight. But is it really worth $500 when I can get others that seem comparable, if not better for around $300?

I don't compete, just want something solid, loud & clean. I listen to anything from hip hop to metal.

Also, if anyone can direct me to some source of information on these shocker sigs, I'd appreciate it. Got a member here who will build & ship for a little under $400...I can't find much info on them, other than they all seem custom built, some pretty ugly, but highly regarded.

Thanks for any input.

Shocker Sigs are beastly. Hispls is well worth it. If you don't want that, then I'd pick the BL or HDC3. The Sundown isn't bad by any means, but I definitely think the price is a bit high to say the least.

The question is... what do you WANT from the speaker ? Any decent speaker can get loud. If that is really all you want buy the cheapest one on your list... the Shocker Sig is particularly nasty for SPL, though, so is a great choice for loud.

VERY few speakers will produce bass with the low distortion level the Z v.4 will at the output levels it will. None of the other speakers you listed are of the same "type" of speaker as the Z v.4 -- none of them have custom tooled and patented frames to allow for over 4" of travel, incredibly linear suspension systems, dual shorting rings, etc. If you like the LOWEST of the low bass then the Z v.4 is going to be the superior choice from your list -- that is not subject to debate or opinion; it is a measurable fact.

The question is... what do you WANT from the speaker ? Any decent speaker can get loud. If that is really all you want buy the cheapest one on your list... the Shocker Sig is particularly nasty for SPL, though, so is a great choice for loud.
VERY few speakers will produce bass with the low distortion level the Z v.4 will at the output levels it will. None of the other speakers you listed are of the same "type" of speaker as the Z v.4 -- none of them have custom tooled and patented frames to allow for over 4" of travel, incredibly linear suspension systems, dual shorting rings, etc. If you like the LOWEST of the low bass then the Z v.4 is going to be the superior choice from your list -- that is not subject to debate or opinion; it is a measurable fact.
None of them come with sundowns patented glue that make the surrounds come undone 3 secs out of the box either :p lmao. 6 sundown sa's and i had to reglue every single one of them, honestly elmers stick glue wouldve worked better.

To the OP you definately don't need 4 cubes for a 12. off even double the power you have now most of the subs on your list wouldnt be at full potential. You could easily do 2 lesser power subs and get much more sound. 2 hds312's or even Sa 12's would do the trick. I like the sa's if the surround is glued on correct, and they like a smaller box which is a plus.

None of them come with sundowns patented glue that make the surrounds come undone 3 secs out of the box either :p lmao. 6 sundown sa's and i had to reglue every single one of them, honestly elmers stick glue wouldve worked better.
To the OP you definately don't need 4 cubes for a 12. off even double the power you have now most of the subs on your list wouldnt be at full potential. You could easily do 2 lesser power subs and get much more sound. 2 hds312's or even Sa 12's would do the trick. I like the sa's if the surround is glued on correct, and they like a smaller box which is a plus.
An SA-12 with the surround not glued properly ? That would be incredibly rare. Much less on six of them. If that were the case I assume you would have filled out an RMA form to have them replaced; but we have seen no such form nor any statistically significant cases of any SA series driver with such an issue (or E series, or SD-2 series, etc, etc).

The only drivers that we've ever seen any surround adhesion problems with to any significant level were the earliest X and Z v.4 drivers ; which had nothing to do with the adhesive at all. There was excess mold release agent on the surround glue pad which prevented the adhesive from grabbing the foam; any such problem has long since been fixed and any drivers that had the problem have been replaced at no cost.

An SA-12 with the surround not glued properly ? That would be incredibly rare. Much less on six of them. If that were the case I assume you would have filled out an RMA form to have them replaced; but we have seen no such form nor any statistically significant cases of any SA series driver with such an issue (or E series, or SD-2 series, etc, etc).
The only drivers that we've ever seen any surround adhesion problems with to any significant level were the earliest X and Z v.4 drivers ; which had nothing to do with the adhesive at all. There was excess mold release agent on the surround glue pad which prevented the adhesive from grabbing the foam; any such problem has long since been fixed and any drivers that had the problem have been replaced at no cost.
I ordered 4 then some months later ordered 2 more. All the surrounds came off like they had no glue on them. They were 10's btw. No sense in sending back those subs for a 15 dollar glue fix. Glad you have solved the problem, just stating my experience.

That's a good question. Not really sure what I'm looking for...other than something more impressive than the pair of P3 12's I had, and something that leaves room to upgrade in the power department.

I ordered the Z and am also having a shocker sig built. Will try both and see which I prefer.

Thanks for the input ppl. It's appreciated, as always.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.