Terminal Cups?

Biohazard
10+ year member

I AM
Vancouver
Ok, i was just wondering if i can use a regular terminal cup or do i need a heavy duty one? for 1000+watts?

its for a xxx, and i wasn't sure as local places only have 1 type of cup...but 1500 watts seems like it could and most likely would melt //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

well, people say that terminal cups are prone to flex at levels over 1000w RMS. I don't know how true this might be, and if you have knowledge on glassing, i'm sure it would be easy to reinforce it.

if not, to be safe, don't use a cup, use a hole, or use the port opening. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

i don't mean flex, i mean like melting? as in the metal in the cup won't be able to hold that power.....i dunno //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif just thinking ahead //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

i kinda want to use something professional...u know?

i am just wondering if a regular terminal cup would limit the power capability?
It shouldn't. People tend to over do it a lot of times. Really you don't need anything thicker than 14g wire....unless your pushing something like 3000+ watts....or your me and like to play it extra safe with nuts and bolts and 8g wire.

the push type terminals i use are good to about 1kw

the heavy duty ones (screw type) are good for as much power as you can throw at them.

the only real difference is the quality and thickness of the metal used to make the connection.

some people like to use cups for cosmetic purposes. also makes it a lot easier to remove the enclosure if need be.

and really guys....if your that **** worried about that cup terminal being a "weak spot" then you have a lot more problems with your enclosure and amp than i even wanna think about //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

some people like to use cups for cosmetic purposes. also makes it a lot easier to remove the enclosure if need be.
and really guys....if your that **** worried about that cup terminal being a "weak spot" then you have a lot more problems with your enclosure and amp than i even wanna think about //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
why's that? its the first time i have made a box.....how would i know, unless i ask?

it is for cosmetic purposes, but it also seems very cheap and flimsy so i thought i should ask.....

It shouldn't. People tend to over do it a lot of times. Really you don't need anything thicker than 14g wire....unless your pushing something like 3000+ watts....or your me and like to play it extra safe with nuts and bolts and 8g wire.

Hmm well at least your getting a good damping factor number from your use of large speaker wire then. The larger your speaker wire is then you will have a damping factor closer to what your amp states it DP is at the speaker outputs.

why's that? its the first time i have made a box.....how would i know, unless i ask?
it is for cosmetic purposes, but it also seems very cheap and flimsy so i thought i should ask.....
i wasn't flaming you man...that one was mostly directed at pakiah :readytogo

sometimes i come off a lot more harsh than i mean to....sorry

good quality terminal cups can be had for cheap. fusion's box accessories are great...gold plated screw-type terms made out of hard plastic. far from flimsey. most high-quality terms also come with a little rubber gasket that goes around the flange to protect from air leaks. it's always a good idea to add a little gasket sealent or silicone.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.