The Chase for 160+dB Demos // Team Alphard Audio USA

I meant solid runs of wire from the alts to the rear. Not anything through the frame.
You're trying to pass 1000+ amps through a frame rail. Copper is 10x more conductive than carbon steel. Realistically you would need 10x more surface area of steel than copper.

Figure that a run of 1/0 is good for 300 amps at that distance. You need at least 4 runs of 1/0 copper wire to carry the amperage you have on tap. That means you need at least 40 runs of steel to do a comparable job. FORTY. Picture 40 runs of 1/0 together and you get the picture.

Steel is not good for conductivity.

Just my opinion, but you should do solid runs of wire from front to back.

Take a look at any big SPL build and you'll see dedicated runs of negative wire, especially on vehicles with multiple alternators.

Not trying to knock your build because it's impressive, but I'd hate for you to have voltage problems because you overkilled on positive runs without doing any negative runs.
I completely understand. Luckily we have the room to add at least 4 runs if we start to see issues. Running them post tests will not be difficult. I know the conductivity is less than copper, but I haven't seen any definitive numbers on how much amperage the frame will tap out at. Heard 800-900a, which would be an issue with us running 1000-1100a. We honestly won't know until we power it up. We have plenty of cable and space to run some front-to-back grounds if needed.

---------- Post added at 11:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 PM ----------

FYI i think its just a type on the VAS. probably 34 liters on the VAS. not trying to to clutter up your build log. looks great so far!
I'll have to talk with those Russians haha

I never did the testing but a long time ago I read the frame is at best equivalent to 4 1/0 runs

Build looks awesome so far

Makes me want to redo my blazer

I never did the testing but a long time ago I read the frame is at best equivalent to 4 1/0 runs
Build looks awesome so far

Makes me want to redo my blazer
Thanks, man -- we're happy with how it's coming together so far.

We have another large build with 700+ amps going through frame with zero issue. Even at 4 1/0 runs, that "should" be good for right around 1,000 amps. Have some testing to do.

I completely understand. Luckily we have the room to add at least 4 runs if we start to see issues. Running them post tests will not be difficult. I know the conductivity is less than copper, but I haven't seen any definitive numbers on how much amperage the frame will tap out at. Heard 800-900a, which would be an issue with us running 1000-1100a. We honestly won't know until we power it up. We have plenty of cable and space to run some front-to-back grounds if needed.
Sounds like a reasonable way to go about it.

Thanks for taking my input seriously and not just saying "whatever bro we know what we're doing" or something along those lines.

Good luck with the rest of the build and let us know the results!

Sounds like a reasonable way to go about it.
Thanks for taking my input seriously and not just saying "whatever bro we know what we're doing" or something along those lines.

Good luck with the rest of the build and let us know the results!
Absolutely, man! By no means do I know everything. This is the first time the crew and I have had the opportunity to chase a 160dB. It's no easy task, and when dealing with this much power it's imperative to get everything wired correctly. I am totally on board with what you're saying if we start to suffer from voltage issues. Luckily, we over-ordered on basically everything electrical related. Honestly, thanks for your input -- it gets the wheels in the head to turn and start thinking.

So before we throw in the batts and finish off the back of the build, we decided to power up the subs. We really jimmy-rigged the subs by using some Circuit City cheapo 14 gauge wire and running it to our previously built Trailblazer’s electrical and amps (2 US Alternators 250a hairpins, 7 JuiceBox Black Cherries, 3 DD M3b amps). We got the subs moving just a little bit, but nowhere near what they’ll need to get violent. Each sub was seeing about 1k in our initial tests. The car doesn’t move, so we had to do little tests in a neighborhood garage. People weren’t happy haha, so we only got in three official burps. We still have no idea what it’s peaking at – just played three random tones on it.

All burps were legal sealed on the dash.

152 @ 25hz

156 @ 35hz

155 @ 41hz

Here's a little vid of our little tests:

just curious how does at do around 60hz or is it really peaky down low? not a bad score. im going to make a prediction. 163.6.
I really doubt it can play that high. Fs of 29, Box tune of 30. It'll dig anything down low, but that high might be difficult for this setup.

Alright, let's get you guys updated with the AlphaBlazer.

So we realized we needed to buy a trailer just in case this now 6,000+lbs queen can't move haha

76nUtUD.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.