The most stupid thing you have done during an Install?

i was being lazy when installing my clifford and was cutting the old alarm harness out and cut through all the ignition wires at once and my car started cranking, but i didnt know it was my car so i kept cutting until my friend asked me what the **** i was doing...now i cut one wire at a time

Man I do stupid stuff all the time. I probably shouldn't even be getting into this hobby, it's going to be a matter of hours until I electrocute myself, or blow up my car.

As a kid, we had our boy scout meetings in an old church. After the meeting, my friend and I would go hang out in the basement and b.s. for a while. Anyways, I saw a fuse box (didn't know what it was at the time) with the oldschool large glass fuses in it. I thought they looked cool, and tried to take one out. I still remember that day lol.

About 2 years ago, I was doing work on my bike's carb. After I was done, it wouldn't start. Took me 2 hours of assembling and reassembling the carb, fuel lines, gas tank, starter, etc before I realized I forgot to put the fuel cut off valve into the on position.

I've fried an EQ before by hooking a hot to the ground. Done the usual stuff like crossing speaker wires. But the dumbest thing was when I was building a box years ago and the mdf split and I drilled a 1 3/4" wood screw into the palm of my left hand (I was using my left hand to brace the board). Buried it to the head. I'm glad it went into my hand and not out the other side. Think I'd have passed out! lol! It really was a freak accident but lesson learned. I now drill holes for all my screws.

The doc at the emergency room kept calling me Tim "the toolman" Tailor. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

1) installing stuff with bassAddictJ in his old maxima..

we cut out the entire back seat with tin snips, layed my hand open.

we installed his box firing into the cab, and then Great Stuff'ed the entire area around where the sub fit, extending into the trunk. Permanent box.

plenty of screws through surrounds

plenty of split MDF while building boxes

a few good ground outs with batterys..

And the king kong of em all.. Anyone ever play with the HID conversion kits? Well.. when those ballasts Ignite the bulbs.. lets just say its far worse than ANY 110 outlet that ive put fingers in. Left burn marks on the tips of 2 fingers for a week, and they STILL don't feel right a year later.

Very first sytem! went to walmart and got a pioneer 12 and pioneer amp. amp overpowered sub x2 but I knew it could take it. well I put it in and wired the power and ground with dual runs of 16 gauge speaker wire. 16+16=8 gauge power wire right? wrong! well the amp shut down when I first turned it up so I put in real 8 gauge. problem solved. now, I decided to set the gains and bb. gain cranked and bb on +12db. It sounded good and pounded hard until I put in some bass mekanik. I was playing "can you hear me?" and a few minutes into the song I smelled something burning while driving down the highway. I looked around all over expecting to see someone burning brush or something but I didn't see anything. thats when I noticed the cab of my truck was filled with smoke! I looked back and that pioneer was billowing clouds of smoke out my home made cardboard amp box aeroport, still pounding!! the smell was so bad I almost started throwing up. the rest of the day just thinking of the burnt sub smell made me sick! Well i've leaned alot since then.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/graduate.gif.d982460be9f153bb54e5d4cb744f6ae8.gif

I just did this on my most recent setup

Screwing in the top post batt term on my brand new yellowtop and a allenwrench dangled down ad hit the postive on the side post, sending sparks abover my hand and blisters on my fingers and melted allenwrenchs,

After that i huked all my new **** up and realized i put the rca jacks in the front output then the rear output.

Assume what? **** happens, and luckily these people can walk away from it. And in the case of other people's property being damaged, it gets replaced.

And the switched pos and neg leads to the amp can still make a show of fuses, if you power the line before you realize the switch up.

Ive....

Crossed speaker wires coming out of the amp...fried amp

Wrecked the surround on my Eclipse Titanium

forgot to turn down the gain on an amp and wrecked a set of 5X7 that just got installed, brand new

I somehow fried the RCA's on my last deck

Once I installed a deck and couldn't get it to fire up so I went and got the correct harness and tried again then after a good 3 hours I found that I just blew a fuse.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.