The new mag is xbl :D

youngstunna
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Some of this was already posted on audiojunkies.com, but I'm posting it here because this is SI's forum and those who don't visit audiojunkies need to know about our news. All of our reps know this info, and they have kept their mouths shut because I asked them to. But now they can divulge anything they want (within reason).

Ok, well I guess I should get the biggest thing out of the way and say that the new Mag is going to be 5.5" deep.

I'm putting the motor inside a completely new basket on the new Mag's to reduce mounting depth to 5.5". I'm also using XBL^2 to get a super-flat BL curve and maintain our T/S's over the entire band of usable Xmax, which will make the driver sound better than before. I'm also copper plating the pole piece and then diamond CNC machining down the pole to reduce inductance while not loosing any BL (a sleeve over the pole has an air gap which reduces BL). A copper-coated pole piece reduces inductance even further (when I say 'even further' I mean that the inductance was lowered a LOT just because of XBL^2). The new inductance is roughly 1/3 of the current Mag (which means bandwidth goes up a TON and the driver will sound a LOT more natural).

Power handling will be 1000 watts in our specified enclosures. Sealed enclosure volume will be 0.8 cubes to 1.0 cubes. Ported enclosure alignments will be in the 1.5 cube area.

And the new BM's are going to be 3.5" deep for a 12" model. Once again, putting the motor inside the basket.

--------------------

Electrodynamic

i passed up on buying a motor with XBL^2 just because my bass extends further than 50hz, but that's just me of course.
No ****? lol

Same reason I ditched the xxx, wasn't what I wanted...sadly (not for me, more for re or adire) my Dayton HO 10s sound way better than the XXX ever did.

There is nothing about XBL^2 that makes it actually drop off above 60 Hz. That is a fallacy to say the least: the coil is much smaller than your standard overhung driver, inductance is lower, the inductive corner frequency at which upper frequency rolloff begins is pushed higher...especially when you have copper on the pole like the Mag will.

However, here is what I posted in the SSA thread:

It comes from misinterpretation. You take 30mm of linear stroke on a low Fs driver, throw on 1-2kW in a ported enclosure tuned to 30 Hz or lower and you get a low end mammoth....with a top end that sounds limited by comparison. The beauty of the high stroke XBL^2 drivers is that you can cram them in small enclosures and have nice even response for several octaves...the Brahma was a perfect example of this, if integrated well. They got a bit of a bad rap for no real reason.

Like every driver (XBL^2 or not) the enclosure has to suit the driver appropriately...I mean, it's a filter right in the middle of your bandwidth!

I'm not sure where that mis-information came from (playing 60 Hz and below) because XBL^2 extends the usable range of a subwoofer, not limits the range of a subwoofer. Our previous Mag's stopped at about 70-80 Hz due to inductance and the new Mag's are going to play up to 300-400 because of the inductance cut of 3x the previous version.

--------------------

Electrodynamic

i asked about that and thats the response i got cause i know most people think xbl subs dont play above 50 hz

i passed up on buying a motor with XBL^2 just because my bass extends further than 50hz, but that's just me of course.
XBL itself does not cause this, especially not when coupled with a copper coated pole and a reasonable coil like this Mag design. The XXX used a fairly high inductance coil (8 layers), that is part of the culprit for the lack of top-end extension -- not the topology itself. They wanted to get the highest BL from a short coil, so more layers were needed //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

A few other XBL designs followed a similar design philosophy. If you implement an XBL design with a low inductance coil, as it is intended for SQ subs and what Nick has in store for the Mag, then you have no issue with top-end.

There is nothing about XBL^2 that makes it actually drop off above 60 Hz. That is a fallacy to say the least: the coil is much smaller than your standard overhung driver, inductance is lower, the inductive corner frequency at which upper frequency rolloff begins is pushed higher...especially when you have copper on the pole like the Mag will.
Right, however it seems there are some out there that all agree on the same thing, comparatively it has no output above 63hz. Don't get me wrong the XXX was a low end monster, but when my mids have more output from 63-80hz than my 15" xxx, it's lacking something.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

youngstunna

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
youngstunna
edmonton, AB
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date