Tight zip ties on wire rises resistance?

loudenuff

CarAudio.com Elite
WA gwon?
I just read a post from another basshead on Facebook that he proved tightening zip ties around any of your wires will add resistance. Anyone else prove this? I don't have time in the coming days to test this but I have every wire in my rig zip tied one place or another. Interesting knowledge if this is proven.

Wire resistance is a product of surface area and length. With power wires i highly doubt it could have a measurable effect. With speaker wire it might be possible to cursh the wire enough to change the amount of surface area. If your zip ties are just snug it wont do anything. Most zip ties will snap before tightening enough to deform the wire enough to cause a negative effect.

The jacket wire is ran through creates thermal resistance. If you remove the jacket completely, wire can handle more current.

So, anything "can" create resistance but it'll all go back to this- So does fuses and I like to be safe first, fun second.

I just read a post from another basshead on Facebook that he proved tightening zip ties around any of your wires will add resistance. Anyone else prove this? I don't have time in the coming days to test this but I have every wire in my rig zip tied one place or another. Interesting knowledge if this is proven.
**** no.

Theoretically the closer you can make your + and - speaker wires it will lower the inductance of the speaker wire

Thus lowering the total impedance (resistance)

BUT!

Sub woofers already have an absurd inductance compared to wire and the low frequencies played with sub woofers means it really won't change anything

Now if you are getting into tweeter range 10khz and up there could be some validity to keeping speaker wires tight together

ive only seen it become a problem with rca's or wire ~20 gauge or smaller

but its all relative, get a big *** zip tie tight on some 4 gauge and itll be similar to bending it sharply around a corner and youll get higher resistance

Joining FB groups is probably a bad idea...because of a lot of misinformation going around. Don't believe everything what you read/see.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

loudenuff

CarAudio.com Elite
loudenuff
WA gwon?
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from