trouble with new boss amp

jeremythelen
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
ok, the amp i had tottally ****** and i was looking for sumthing better. it didtn have to be top of the line though, jsut something to use with two type rs in the future. my cousin had a 200x4 boss amp and we hookoed it up to my shitty blaupunkts i have now and they were hittin way harder on the boss than on my old one. but then when i started up my car and took off the amp shut off when i turned it up a bit. not more tahn usual or anythjing though and the gains were only a little over half. i toyed arouund with the power wire and when i took the power wire off and put it back on it worked again, but then when i turned it up a bit itd shut off again. so now im really confused on it and need some help please, and do you think 130s too much for this amp? thanks

i did, its hooked up to the amp fine. do you think i dont have a very good connection though? i kinda just tied it on to part of my trunk and it worked on my old amp so i figured itd work on this one too. how should you hook it up?

Try attaching the ground wire to a good ground with a crimp on ring terminal and a bolt or screw of some sort. Also when when you find a point to put the screw, scrape away paint or any other substance that could inhibit a good connection.

yeah the ground probably isnt very good. You need a ring terminal to bolt the wire to the car where it will be grounded to the chasis. Also check your speaker wire, that there are no parts touching from + and -. there could be like a loose strand at the speakers or at the amp touching the opposite side, that iwll usually trigger the amp to shut off cus it would fry if it doesnt, although i'm not sure if you'd be able to turn it up hardly at all if you did that. also another thing is, how many blaukplunk subs do you have and what are the impedances of each? You may be running the amp below its impedance rating causing it to shut off. Which reminds me, are you sure you have the amp hooked up right as far as each channel being bridged to one channel of the amp, assuming you have 2 subs?

hey thanks for the help so far, i havetn messed around with this stuff all that much so i dont have too much knowledge with it really. i got a ring terminal for my ground and bolted that somewhere, i sanded it all off and everything so i know thats not the problem anymore. the amp i have is a boss 200x4, and its says 2 ohm on it. the thing with my subs though is i dont konw much about them cuz i got them from an old friend and dont have any info on them really. so im not sure of the ohm or anything an them. but i know they can handle a lot more than my old 220 watt amp. anyway. i bridged the 1+ with the 2- and the 3+ with the 4- and hooked them up to the subs. im not sure if my speaker wires messed up though, cuz i look on the wires and tehy all have + signs???also, my amp has a bass boost, and when i turn it up it only works with the 3 & 4 channel sub?????? and i only have 1 set of rcas, but you dotn have to have another set do you? this is really confusing me and if you have any more ideas if you could work me through it i would greatly appreciate it! thanks.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.