two 15", sealed 4.5ft shared, 2500 watts... recommendations?

rob b.

Hows it going everyone. I'm looking for a set of 15" woofers to put in my truck, had a set of db drive k9s that blew up. Wasnt impressed with the ouput, sq was fairly good.

Anyways the setup is an 01 gmc diesel truck, single cab, fiberglass box with about 4.5ft of airspace shared, 2 145amp alts, 2 deka intimimators, all 0 guage, orion xtrpro2400. I'm looking for something more efficient then the db drives, they just took too much juice to move, its not practical for a daily driver and the output was weak for the amount of power waisted... I want decent sound quality,and I dont like subs that cant stretch out to 120hz or so. mounting depth cant be much more then about 7.75".

So whats out there for around $600 new or used?

Main two I'm looking at now is the massive hippo, or the Fi ssd. the massive is a bit more sensitive, the fi has more xmax... on the fence about which will really be more important. having a hard time finding much info on iether of those subs, or any recomendations at all for sealed 15s. Dayton HO wont handle enough power before anyone suggests it lol.

c2 audio threatcon can stretch pretty good, SSA subwoofers can stretch pretty good and Dayton H/O 15s can play the upper notes too. All are pretty efficient.

You ask for efficient subs but you also want power handling too...

In that space you should have done 2 12s ported. Would have gotten louder and sounded better.

I'm growing weary of the ported smaller driver argument lol. maybe one 12 by the time you figure the port displacement, if you can even get a port long enough to fit internally... its a single cab truck, think wedge box.

c2 audio threatcon can stretch pretty good, SSA subwoofers can stretch pretty good and Dayton H/O 15s can play the upper notes too. All are pretty efficient.
You ask for efficient subs but you also want power handling too...

In that space you should have done 2 12s ported. Would have gotten louder and sounded better.
Yes.

You can definitely make it work if you were willing to play around with it. There's not much to load off in a truck with a sealed box, It needs to bounce off something or you will lose output because of that. Side ported generally works well on trucks. with 4.5 cubes, I dont see how you cant fit two 4 inch aeros side ported because its doable on a lot of other trucks.

Also with a 2500 watt amp, after impedance rise, voltage drops, you wont see the full 2500. Music is dynamic, not a pure 50hz tone, those daytons can handle that 2500 watt amp man.

It's a shame you only have 7.75 of depth to work with the JBL GTi15mkll would fit exactly what you are looking for, but they are like most all of the drivers that will handle that kind of power in sealed application's they are like 10 or 11" in mounting depth

I know, its a solid amp though. rated at 12v and I wont dip much below 14, with the ad244 alts the idle output is outstanding. before impedance rise at full charging voltage its probably more like a 2800rms amp. Either way, I probably have at least 1k per sub to play with. the db drive k9s definitely did not handle it, not even one song ones welded up solid, at 1 ohm tho. amps rated at 2.

I know, its a solid amp though. rated at 12v and I wont dip much below 14, with the ad244 alts the idle output is outstanding. before impedance rise at full charging voltage its probably more like a 2800rms amp. Either way, I probably have at least 1k per sub to play with. the db drive k9s definitely did not handle it, not even one song ones welded up solid, at 1 ohm tho. amps rated at 2.
db drive k9s dont handle that much power I was not impressed with the local db drive setup with 2 12" okur k9s on a sound stream ta 3000.1 The dude switched to a pair of sundown SA and it was day and night, took all the power the amp could provide wired at half ohm and the sundowns are rated for 600 watts. I'm sure the build quality (voice coil) is very much different. The massive hippos are a low end heavy sub from what a lot of reviews say. Doesnt reach up high. You'll want a sub with aluminium shorting rings built into it.

Your subs dont seem to have a good loading spot with your setup which is hard to build up cabin pressure

the cabin gain on my truck is definitely above average, its a much smaller single cab then most. I could get some 4" ports firing up, they would gain off the back window but i imagine the port noise would be ferocious. the way the subs are loaded actually works better then you would expect the way the seats are dug out (jammed the seatbelt retractor forward) to close on top of the sub with the press board backrest insert, it gets a little pressure on the front side of the cone. you can hear the difference with the seats flipped forward.

IF you are determined to have 15s sealed

I'd run each speaker choice through the efficiency bandwith product calculator. under 50, subs can put in decent work in a sealed box. 50-100 can work but its not optimal, the closer you get to 100, the less its going to work out. 100 and over, dont even bother.

Not all subs can work in a sealed configuration.

Efficiency Bandwidth Product Calculators - EBP, Speaker Resonance Frequency, Speaker Electrical

http://store.soundsolutionsaudio.com/products/lethal-injection-15-incriminator-audio-15-1000w-lethal-injection-series.html

I'd say thats your best bet for a sealed box subwoofer that can get decently loud and work fine in a sealed box. Should handle that amp better than db drives

so I'm between the fi ssd, lethal injection, and dc lvl3 for woofers that I could actually fit. I cant find if the incriminator is rated 1w1m or 2.83v, anyone know? the ssd doesn't tell you the qts for the "high q" option, and whats up with the super cooling option what is that? the dc has the lowest sensitivity and power handling so, unless there's something I'm missing the others look better. ethos breaks the budget.

leaning toward the incriminator, looks a bit beefier then the fi.

so I'm between the fi ssd, lethal injection, and dc lvl3 for woofers that I could actually fit. I cant find if the incriminator is rated 1w1m or 2.83v, anyone know? the ssd doesn't tell you the qts for the "high q" option, and whats up with the super cooling option what is that? the dc has the lowest sensitivity and power handling so, unless there's something I'm missing the others look better. ethos breaks the budget.
leaning toward the incriminator, looks a bit beefier then the fi.
Email FI for technical support. Go to incriminators site directly for info. The LI 15 has an ebp of 43 so it would thrive pretty well in a sealed. Might wanna add polyfill to your current box.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.