unbelievable...

ok abcdefg and bdiddy tell me the whole story of what happened. i wanna know how u fried the brahma and how u only hit 143 with those subs and that much power? just tell me i'm wondering

Well to first answer his question I have a 84 cutlass supreme with a back seat it is not the ideal car for spl do you all agree. I have ONLY 700 watts rms (500 according to the guy at meca) going to my brahma 12 in a 5.5 cuft. box tuned to 50 hz. I hit 138 and I was ashamed of it so I did not run through because I was in as3 and I would have got murdered.

Now for jbl_marshall21's question. I am not really sure all I know is it had something to do with a terminal. I put 1 in my box. I had 2 wires (positive and negative) going to my terminal. I had 4 (2 positive 2 negative) going to my sub. I thought it was because I was pulling with 4 but only had 2 to give the power, now I am probably wrong and abcdefg will come on here and say something different, and he's not right. If he is I will admit it and say I am sorry but I dont think he is.

Originally posted by guitar maestro wrong there buddy.....mild distortion probably won't hurt a sub, but serious distortion is a sign that the amp is clipping

the word "clipping" has a specific significance here.....it means the wave form, which should be a superimposition of sine waves, has become a square wave, and thus contains much more power than a unclipped sine wave at the SAME VOLTAGE.....this is because the top of the waveform has been "clipped" off and becomes square, since the voltage of the wave cannot exceed the rail voltage of the amp, but current can increase substantially

think of a sine wave that has a peak of 5V.....then super impose a square wave with a peak of 5V.....which one has more "area under the curve"??......since obviously a 5V (peak) sine wave plot fits inside a 5V square wave plot, for the same cycle, there is about 1.5x the current flowing thru the coil

so if the total power being produced is still not above the thermal rating of the coil, then it wont cook it........but if a speaker is rated 100 RMS, and a 100RMS amp is fully clipped it can send at least 150W total to the speaker, thus cooking the 100W coil
Distortion in any amount won't hurt a sub period, 'tis but a myth. Even "mild distortion" is a sign that the amp is clipping. You can clip an amp way before "serious distortion" comes into play.

I do know what clipping is, thanks... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Originally posted by jbl_marshall21 ok abcdefg and bdiddy tell me the whole story of what happened. i wanna know how u fried the brahma and how u only hit 143 with those subs and that much power? just tell me i'm wondering

well i think the big reason y i only hit a 143 with 3 15inch k's and 500 watts rms a piece, well i got to talkin to rangerman and he said that i had them in 2 big of a box i had them in a lil over 13 cubes so that might be part of the reason and then the port and the subs were facing up towards the ceiling, and then final reason was that i didnt use mdf wood i used 3/4 osb which is basically plywood almost i didnt have 40bucks to spendon mdf at the time so i bought that and the port was flexing so that might be part of the problem too, but it was on a lin x mic, im thinkin oftrying again in the near future of competing and trying a lil different box

heyy nswartley im just lookin at this thread for the first time. thats ridiculous what happened. where the hell is this place? when i get home (currently out of state) im gona go over there and start *****ing at them and ask them about Adire audio and Resonant engineering and Elemental designs. im gona ****in bust out my SEs on their ***** asses and show up their pathetic explods

Where in the bay area do u live? im in almaden in san jose

Originally posted by capone28 heyy nswartley im just lookin at this thread for the first time. thats ridiculous what happened. where the hell is this place? when i get home (currently out of state) im gona go over there and start *****ing at them and ask them about Adire audio and Resonant engineering and Elemental designs. im gona ****in bust out my SEs on their ***** asses and show up their pathetic explods

Where in the bay area do u live? im in almaden in san jose
hey, when i get back from my trip ( http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34418 ) come down to the shop with me to show them what real companies are made of. the store is the AMS car stereo on camden ave, not the one on stevens creek. ill give you a PM when i get back or something. we definitely need a bass-drive by for this occasion //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

-nate

Originally posted by nswartley hey, when i get back from my trip ( http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34418 ) come down to the shop with me to show them what real companies are made of. the store is the AMS car stereo on camden ave, not the one on stevens creek. ill give you a PM when i get back or something. we definitely need a bass-drive by for this occasion //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

-nate
but i know what ur gona go through. hey thats gona be a long trip im in guatemala right now. luckily my aunt has internet and all. im in the city so everythings basically the same as back home but i know what those little villages are like. ill get home on the 8th im gona go to AMS as soon as i get home. ive seen the one on stevens creek it has a big alpine banner on it right. i havent seen the other

Originally posted by capone28 but i know what ur gona go through. hey thats gona be a long trip im in guatemala right now. luckily my aunt has internet and all. im in the city so everythings basically the same as back home but i know what those little villages are like. ill get home on the 8th im gona go to AMS as soon as i get home. ive seen the one on stevens creek it has a big alpine banner on it right. i havent seen the other
the store with the big alpine banner is Z auto sound or discount car stereo...i know that Z auto sound is a great store. ive had talks with all the guys there and they know a shitload more than any prick at the AMS on camden. the guys who work at the AMS on stevens creek are awesome guys (at least curtis is). but we should hit up the AMS on camden with some RE and adire action sometime when i get back

thats awesome that we will both have been in latin america this summer...podemos hablar espanol cuando regreso //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

-nate

Originally posted by WeDgE Distortion in any amount won't hurt a sub period, 'tis but a myth. Even "mild distortion" is a sign that the amp is clipping. You can clip an amp way before "serious distortion" comes into play.

I do know what clipping is, thanks... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
You sir, are dead wrong. Clipping is caused by distortion, and clipping sends a square sine wave to the sub, which causes it to jump the VC gap, lock up, and cook.

Originally posted by IowaBoomer You sir, are dead wrong. Clipping is caused by distortion, and clipping sends a square sine wave to the sub, which causes it to jump the VC gap, lock up, and cook.
LMFAO

Sorry bud, but please get your facts straight. DISTORTION IS CAUSED BY CLIPPING.

If you don't think so, then please explain to me how you think distortion is caused if clipping doesn't cause it...please do tell us all

Originally posted by nswartley distortion is a result of clipping...your amp doesnt distort, it clips, and therefore the sub distorts.

-nate
Exactly. Thank you. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

nswartley

5,000+ posts
Down and out...
nswartley
(Near) San Jose, CA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date