Unconventional box design for Elantra

Participant count
  • Participant list

BTF

CarAudio.com Newbie
Oklahoma
Hi all, hopefully this isn't a stupid question, but I'm wondering if there are reasons why I shouldn't build a sub box similar to my "expertly" marked up photo below? I'm just trying to keep some functionality of the fold down rear seat. Tell me if this would work or if not, why. Please! Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5045.JPG
    IMG_5045.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 274
Hi all, hopefully this isn't a stupid question, but I'm wondering if there are reasons why I shouldn't build a sub box similar to my "expertly" marked up photo below? I'm just trying to keep some functionality of the fold down rear seat. Tell me if this would work or if not, why. Please! Thanks!
I think that should be fine. Bass is the least directional of the sound waves. The person sitting on the side of the back seat will know that's where it is, but I don't think it'll be super obvious for people in the front that it's on the left. Just make sure when that bar holding the trunk on the left drops down to close that it doesn't hit the box.

Edit: People in the front probably won't notice in direction, but they may notice in volume between that configuration and a straight forward or straight back. The angle of a box can make a big difference in efficiency of noise reaching the ears up front.

Last edited:
If it's a small enough subwoofer you might be able to invert it to get more box volume if you find you can't get enough from those dimensions. Generally it's not a good idea if you can avoid it since you'll lose some cone area, but it looks like it'll fit pretty well into that pocket behind the wheel so it could be worth exploring.

You're better off using an 8 or 10 in a 4th order. That way the box stays small overall and the sub is fully enclosed inside of the box.

Firing into a corner with all sorts of weird angles is just asking for trouble with cancellation and resonance and then you're giving the port nothing to load from on the other side.

Firing into a corner with all sorts of weird angles is just asking for trouble with cancellation and resonance and then you're giving the port nothing to load from on the other side.
That's what I was wondering, thanks! What about putting the port into the corner and the sub firing forward or to the side? Using the same basic box shape and positioning?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.