Unsatisfying output from a 12" FI Q.

LinxuS
10+ year member

Jellysickle
Las Vegas
EDIT: After tweaking with everything finally found the problem. It was the result of the Par-EQ, but I found a way to semi-bypass the steep slope it had on the songs.

The 12" Fi Q has amazing output and great SQ. I just had a simple problem, so don't assume this for all drivers. I'm blown away by how much SQ and SPL it has, and could not be any more happy.

Thread should be renamed "More than satisfying output..." //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

------------------------------------------------------------

I just recently got my 12" Fi Q installed, with everything running. My current set up is as follows:

2.3 cF @ ~31 hz box, built by TeamPSI.

Big 3 and an Optima Yellow Top.

Constant 13.7+ voltage at full tilt.

Pioneer Avic-N3

12" Fi Q

Re 12.1.

I am definitely not happy with the output I have. On Late Night Tip, the second two notes are not loud at all. Same with Throw it Up. Soul Survivor is pretty good, and decently loud, but I don't think i'm wrong to be expecting more. My truck has next to no flex, besides the mirrors. I can't hear the bass at all outside of my truck (which is a good thing to hide my system, but I think it also shows that the sub is lacking in output. I can hear my comps loud and clear outside of my truck, however.)

I really think there must be an error in my set up. Being that this is my first sub, anything should seem like a lot, especially after all this work.

So as far as gains.

35.8 volts @ 60 hz. ~ 1280 RMS.

SSF is set to the lowest it would go on the amp. I could only get about 23 volts @ 23 hz. (should be closer to 25 volts).

I've tried reversing the phase, and I could not really tell an audible difference in the sound.

Is the Q just deprived of power? Do I need a stronger amp? I'm just baffled here, and I really don't think that it's the sub itself.

Any input is appreciated.

-Alex.

I think you need more powa. Cuz the Q sure sounds nice on both LNT and throw it up. I just listened to both the other day and they made by guts shake.

If I remember correctly that pioneer only has 2v output. Could be your problem.

I didn't do the wiring of the sub. I had David [TeamPSI] do it, and he just left me with a single wire, so I'm sure he did it right.

What's the easiest way to check it to make sure? Or do I need to take the sub out?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.