Update on hard drives....

Participant count
  • Participant list

AltarCrystal
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Ohio
Hello all, I've been off of the boards for about a year now, but since summer's kickin' up again, I always get that car itch.

Last summer, I installed a hard drive in my car, which has worked without a hitch all year (even with driving 2 hours daily). But, there's still the indexing problem where it take about a minute to a minute and a half for the music to start playing.

Just wanted to see if there's any solution to that? Or if everyone else with hard drives installed are just dealing with it like me? :p

Not that I'm aware of.

I read an article in PC Magazine yesterday about usb storage devices and they spoke about the longer start up time of the small usb hdds. The author said the small drives typically use slower drive motors, 4500 rpms, and are slower than those with faster, 7200rpm motors. This I am aware of and when used by a car audio system with less power is probably the reason for the slow start/read times.

I use the same usb hdd in my car and my home desktop, WD Passport 160gb, and while it takes 30 seconds to read in my car it takes about 10 seconds to read on the desktop.

More files probably adds to the read time also.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.