Upgrade 2017 Dodge Durango Beats sytem

Participant count
  • Participant list

hirez24

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi All,

Brand new to the forum, have not wired a car stereo in at least 10 years.
I have a 2017 Dodge Durango that I would like to upgrade, it has the beats audio package which I think could use a lot of work.

I would like to keep the stock radio (I will be retro fitting a 2018 Durango uacnav 8.4 radio to gain apple car play but that is the easy part)

I know my system has an amplifier in the rear panel which I would like to replace with something else preferably something with DSP

I will be changing the stock speakers to something better.

I believe the system in its current form has 9 speakers locations fed by 6 amplifier channels. (please cporrect me if any of this is wrong)

The front doors have a channel each 1-2
The center (dash) is its own channel 3
the rear doors and rear pillars are fed from two channels 4-5
and the sub under the storage lid in the back has the last channel 6

What I don't know is how I go about adding the amp which will probably be a better 6 channel amp with some sort of dsp built in

1. does the head unit have standard line outs or do i need some sort of converter box to intercept the can bus to get the line out 4/5 volt to the new amplifier.

2. does any one know if the power feeding the current amp will be sufficient to power a new moderate 6 channel amp (40 to 100 watts a channel maybe)

My main goal here is to have accurate sound not loud per say, I was looking at the focal line on crutchfield with a new 8 inch sub to replace the stock one under the storage panel in the back ( I want to maintain a completely stock look) I prefer silk dome tweeters to metal dome but could be persuaded otherwise.

based on preliminary research my Budget will be roughly $1500 for speakers and amp with accessories, though I would prefer to pay much less

any guidance, tips or recommendations would be greatly appreciated TIA

Hi All,

Brand new to the forum, have not wired a car stereo in at least 10 years.
I have a 2017 Dodge Durango that I would like to upgrade, it has the beats audio package which I think could use a lot of work.

I would like to keep the stock radio (I will be retro fitting a 2018 Durango uacnav 8.4 radio to gain apple car play but that is the easy part)

I know my system has an amplifier in the rear panel which I would like to replace with something else preferably something with DSP

I will be changing the stock speakers to something better.

I believe the system in its current form has 9 speakers locations fed by 6 amplifier channels. (please cporrect me if any of this is wrong)

The front doors have a channel each 1-2
The center (dash) is its own channel 3
the rear doors and rear pillars are fed from two channels 4-5
and the sub under the storage lid in the back has the last channel 6

What I don't know is how I go about adding the amp which will probably be a better 6 channel amp with some sort of dsp built in

1. does the head unit have standard line outs or do i need some sort of converter box to intercept the can bus to get the line out 4/5 volt to the new amplifier.

2. does any one know if the power feeding the current amp will be sufficient to power a new moderate 6 channel amp (40 to 100 watts a channel maybe)

My main goal here is to have accurate sound not loud per say, I was looking at the focal line on crutchfield with a new 8 inch sub to replace the stock one under the storage panel in the back ( I want to maintain a completely stock look) I prefer silk dome tweeters to metal dome but could be persuaded otherwise.

based on preliminary research my Budget will be roughly $1500 for speakers and amp with accessories, though I would prefer to pay much less

any guidance, tips or recommendations would be greatly appreciated TIA
What did you end up doing? And did you find out how many watts per channel the stock stereo was pushing and what at what ohm

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...